Torque setting

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by cohunt, Aug 25, 2018.

1. cohunt

cohunt Well-Known Member

I bought a timney trigger for my 1993 rem 700 mountain rifle--I can't for the life of me remember what the action screw torque is supposed to be, I had it written down somewhere but I can't find it

anyone know what the factory torque specs are?

2. Ckgworks

Ckgworks Well-Known Member

3. cohunt

cohunt Well-Known Member

I can narrow down some specifics if it helps. It's a 1993 rem 700 mountain rifle...this rifle does not have the b&c stock , it was 1st year production of the "Tupperware stock" with pressed checkering- no bedding block, no pillars, no glass bedding.
    When I called Remington they just currently recommend torque specs for current production wood, injection molded, and fiberglass sticks not the older stocks like mine.

4. EddieHarren

EddieHarren Well-Known Member

You can torque that "Tupperware" to whatever you want because it won't stay that way long. Come back and check it a week later. It will have changed!

Dosh, shortgrass and Rick Richard like this.
  5. cohunt

cohunt Well-Known Member

It shoots 1/2 moa right now and I don't want to mess that up, I spent hours researching what torque specs were about 2 years ago when I picked it up for $200 (never been fired), I jotted specs down and torqued it back then but can't find the piece of paper in my reloading room -- i was thinking of putting a better stock on it, but its shooting well right now so I'm not sure.
    I don't really trust the stock trigger as i know the prior owner set it really light, then he went to put rings/bases on it and he thought he stripped one of the holes so he never shot it, it ended up he just stripped out the screw.

6. Edd

Edd Well-Known Member

I would torque them to 40 in lbs.

RockyMtnMT likes this.
  7. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

Dosh, Hatrick and Rum Man like this.
  8. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

delete

9. cohunt

cohunt Well-Known Member

ThaThanks-- What about the ones with no pillars or block but bottom plastic trigger guard ? Any different?

10. Deputy819

Deputy819 Well-Known Member

11. EddieHarren

EddieHarren Well-Known Member

If it's torqued in that stock and shoots 1/2 MOA, never changes POI or suffers accuracy loss, Never, I repeat, Never take it out of that stock.

Rick Richard likes this.