Stock Torque

BoomFlop

I am planning to do some torque testing on all my rifles, however, it got me wondering.....

Do you all do this, what is your specific process and have you found any consistency to your tests?

Most of my stocks are H-S, a few factory synthetic and a couple wood. None of which are bedded and all shoot well.

Thanks,
Steve

Here is answer for Savage LRPVL
Seat Recoil Lug and Start with Front Action Screw(s)
On the model 12, I will first ensure that the recoil lug is seated securely against the stock by just lightly tightening up the front receiver screw then gently but firmly bumping the butt pad against the floor. Next I will tighten up the front two receiver screws to 30 inch-pounds starting at 20 inch-pounds and working up to the 30 inch-pounds in 5 inch-pound increments, and always tightening the front screw first and then the second screw. Once the front two receiver screws are torqued to the final torque setting, I will set the rear receiver screw to 5 inch-pounds and shoot a 5-shot group [to evaluate accuracy].

Increase Torque Incrementally on Rear Action Screw
After the group is shot and I am satisfied that I called all of the shots as good shots I will allow the rifle to cool off to about the temperature that the fist group was shot at. I will then add 5 inch-pounds to the rear receiver screw and shoot another five-shot group and allow the rifle to cool again. I repeat this process until I have tightened the rear receiver screw to 40 inch-pounds or have seen the groups get smaller and then start getting larger again. Once you have seen the groups decrease and then start to increase in size then you will have found the area of torque to work in. You can then can fine tune this to the exact inch-pound torque settings.

Great question!

I torque all my rifles to a specific torque. It varies with wood, laminate and synthetic and if it is unbedded, bedded or pillar bedded.

My typical lower settings are 35 in/lb rear and 40 in/lb front. Upper end torque is 55 ft/lb with a pillar bedded synthetic. If you have a production rifle like your HS you can call and ask what they recommend. IIRC the aluminum bedding block stocks go as high as 65 in/lb.

Some rifles, like the savage mentioned above, will show a preference for a particular torque. I have a few rifles that started at the 35 rear and 40 front that responded to 40 rear and 45 front or more. I know this takes time but worth it as it generally only needs to be done once.

The most radical change I have seen is when using a Ruger 10-22. Friend has a Tony Kidd custom and I have one I put together with some fore end pressure. Because the 10-22 only has one screw, the torque will change groups size and do it with as little as 5 in/lb! And this is with bull barrels!

Main thing IMO is to have a value and use it in the future should you disassemble and reassemble the rifle. It is worth mentioning that some rifles will settle in after being taken apart and require a second torqueing of the action screws after firing a few rounds.

Another thing worth mentioning with walnut stocked rifles is to loosen the screws during the off season as climate change (dirty word) will alter the moisture content in the wood. It cannot be good to have tight screws when the climate was dry then a change to higher humidity and the resultant pressures against the stock. (az has a summer monsoon and there is a big change!)

Ross

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.