Top 5 scopes if money was no object

Finally a Schmidt and Bender vote -

Was curious as to what the special forces units down here in Bragg use and when I spoke to "chad" who coached the team to 2nd in the world last year his reply was emphatically "Schmidt and Bender!!!!!"

Range 37 PSR is where he does his civilian one to one coaching.

Appreciate ya.

CD

Finally a Schmidt and Bender vote -

Was curious as to what the special forces units down here in Bragg use and when I spoke to "chad" who coached the team to 2nd in the world last year his reply was emphatically "Schmidt and Bender!!!!!"

Range 37 PSR is where he does his civilian one to one coaching.

Appreciate ya.

CD

Because most people look at optics as an acessory and Schmidt and Bender usually (most times) costs more than a factory rifle but when you enter the realm of a custom built rifle, a S&B becomes more realistic.

If I own a 7 grand rifle a coulple grand for a scope is inconsrquential.

The difference between a Rolex and a Timex philosophy. Both keep time. The Rolex is a precision timepiece guaranteed forever and holds it initial value indefinitely whereas the Timex becomes landfill fodder when it expires. Same thing applies to an optic. Why I own a Rolex Submariner. Just say'in.:)

So here is what my rig is as of today that I will be taking to Alaska for Black Bear the end of May -

Rem 700 SPS in 300 win mag - I love this caliber and recoil not an issue for me.

Optics - Leupold VX3 3.5-10 duplex reticle

will that current scope address my hunting needs? if so out to how far 200 yds?

so I think I go tactical if I'm shooting/hunting over 200 yds?

He asked what the top 5 were, not personal preference/use...

You are correct Sidecar,

And that's the OP also asking if his 3.5-10X leupold will suit his 200 yard hunting needs. So I politely chose to answer that question.

But anyways, here's my list.

Nightforce, Swarovski, Schmidt and Bender, US Optics, Zeiss

Not in that particular order.

I would suggest to consider a nice low power range as well for bear hunting in Alaska. Something in the 2.5-3x range. It could provide the quickness you may need in case something threatening like a Grizz shows up closer than you like.

Three of the rules we kept in camp while in Alaska were to always leave your rifle chambered, safety on and scope on the lowest setting.

Hard question to answer. But for what your using,my question would be where are you hunting your black bear... I live in Alaska and hunt with 3 rifles. I have a 45-70 Guide Gun(one of the best all around rifles for here in my opinion) my Custom 300 RUM, and gotta have the 375 H&H. If your hunting on the coast should work fine or interior, but I would prefer my 45-70 in the interior. Faster to handle and she puts a smack down on just about anything walking on earth!!! Now back to 5 top scopes, Nightforce,S&B, USO,like Vortex and March. By the way no scope on the 45-70, open sights best way to go!!!!!!

For hunting; I really like March. I went 2.5-25x42 Tacticalas I do not like FFP for hunting. I always dial up. The scope weighs just 18oz compared to some over 3lbs.

For tactical; I like my NXS 5.5-22, but love the new BEAST. Have not had the chance to shoot a Schmidt, USO, Premier (Tangent Theta), Hensoldt, Steiner, Mark 6 or 8, but you will read good reviews about them all.
As 406 said, the new Vortex Razor HD Gen II's are supposed to be the bees knees. I have one on order, and have heard good things.

Really, it just comes down to personal preference. You definitely pay for what you get in this arena.

Bastards and your wonderful glass...

I'm pretty happy with my Vortex. In the last year also bought a Nikon Prostaff which has been fine. These are for 300 yards and in of course, lowish magnification shots. I've still got the Niko Sterling Nighteater on my Howa but it's a "meh" optic I beat the **** out of, reasonably clear though.

If money was no optic? hard to say. I've heard good things about many, many companies but only have first hand experience with more main stream glass (and a smattering of Swarozski and Nightforce playtime). Of those I've shot through, Nightforce. I'd be interested to see how Leica's do. During my time as a researcher I had a Leica dissecting microscope that was just... just so clear.

Sorry if I'm not contributing much useful information it's just me putting in my .02 as a layman

Will be on the kenai peninsula floating down the rivers in a yacht don't know at what range the shots will present themselves yet guys in my group who were there last year thought max would be 200.

The more I think about it I want a long range rifle and scope capable of 1000 yds down to 200 for hunting

For target or tactical I have no idea since I'm a rookie

Chris Davis
North Carolina

Will be on the kenai peninsula floating down the rivers in a yacht don't know at what range the shots will present themselves yet guys in my group who were there last year thought max would be 200.

The more I think about it I want a long range rifle and scope capable of 1000 yds down to 200 for hunting

For target or tactical I have no idea since I'm a rookie

Chris Davis
North Carolina

Fine then. Ladder style iron sights transplanted from a 19th Century Sharps rifle. Done and done.

I have owned and still own scopes in various models maunufactured by Nightforce, Zeiss, Swarovski and Leupold but the 2 scopes I'm convinced are the best I will ever own are a Schmidt and Bender 4-16-50 Precision Hunter with the P-3 Reticle and Schmidt and Bender 3-20-50 PMII P4L the clarity and tracking are second to none in my opinion.

Money no object;
1. Hensoldt ZF 6-24x72 Mildot Riflescope
2. Zeiss Victory Diarange 3-12x56 Rapid-Z 800 Scope
3. Schmidt and Bender 5-25x56 PM II/LP/MTC/LT
4. Victory Varipoint M 3–12x56 iC T*
5.Schmidt and Bender 8x56 Klassik

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.