Best scope for the money

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by coachA, Jan 31, 2014.

1. coachA

coachA Well-Known Member

I may be looking for a mythical creature. I want a scope that is a variable power that goes to at leat 14 has a 30mm tube. I don't really know what type of reticle yet but I am leaning toward a mil-dot. I would like the possibility of using it to range as my long range shooting progresses. I would also like one with some type of zero stop. I would really like to keep it at a $1000 or less. I know there is thousand of options about this but I need some help. I truly believe the more info I can get the better decisions I can make.

CoachA

2. jpd676

jpd676 Well-Known Member

It is tough to get everything you want in that price range. A good used scope could be an option. Vortex Viper PST is good, but I don't know about the zero stop. I would go to SWFA.com and look at the super sniper 3-15 ($700.00). Some guys on Sniper's Hide are making a zero stop for it for $20.00.

3. North Idaho Hunter

North Idaho Hunter Well-Known Member

Vortex Viper HS LR 4-14x44
    Zero stop with 75 MOA of elevation adjustment, has an exposed elevation turret, capped windage turret. You can get a dead hold BDC or mildot reticle I believe. for $460 off camera land.

They truly have one of the best warranty's in the business.

4. Iclimb

Iclimb Well-Known Member

I can get you a vortex viper HS-t 4-14x44 with the mil setup for $520. I like it over the HS-LR for the exposed windage . If you ever have to send it in they'll be back in a week, no questions warranty to any owner, good clear glass. What more can you ask for? Pm me if your interested...

I don't think the above mentioned come in mil-dot, I don't see where they are $460 either, maybe you have to add it to the cart to show up...

5. MHO

MHO Well-Known Member

Vortex PST would get my vote.

6. coachA

coachA Well-Known Member

I see there is a lot of people that like their vortex scopes. What's the difference between the PST ans the HS?

7. Barrelnut

Barrelnut Well-Known Member

You should also know about Sightron scopes. The Sightron III scopes glass is a step up from the Vortex PST glass. The Sightrons do not have zero stop but they have open turrets that dial extremely well and come in 6-24x50, 8-32x56 AND 10-50x60! in the tactical scopes. They have a good ranging reticle with 2 MOA hash marks. They are popular with F-Class shooters etc. I think the 8-32x56 is right about $900.00

I have a Vortex PST and a Sightron III and like them both.

8. lever-hed

lever-hed Well-Known Member

get a Wahiba Vicon Lightforce 20x, they're supposed to be worth every penny!

9. sdriverbottom

sdriverbottom Well-Known Member

Another vote for Sightron S3..I have had mine for 3 years. Always performed and tracked great. Friend of mine has one as well with the same results.

10. desertbull

desertbull Well-Known Member

Vortex, Sightron SIII and a Leupold Mark 4. Not sure the price on Leupold, but you can find them used on EBAY often.

Nightforce has a new scope for around $1000, not sure on the specs though.

11. Iclimb

Iclimb Well-Known Member

That new NF LOOKS GOOD :D:D
    If you end up finding a vortex you like, pm and I'll see if I can hook you up.

12. Rudolph Optics

Rudolph Optics Official LRH Sponsor

At a retail price of $950 you are not going to find better "Value for Money" than the Rudolph C1 6-24x50mm T3 Illuminated reticle.

[​IMG]

Contact us at: [email protected]

13. bruce_ventura

bruce_ventura Well-Known Member

New Burris Scopes - XTR II and Veracity

The OP should look at the new Burris XTR II scopes, in particular the 3-15X50 model. They have all the features on your wish list. AFAIK, the Burris Veracity scopes have the same optics, but a different mechanical design and reticles.

Both model lines have FFP reticles. For long range hunting, I prefer the Veracity reticles because they have better visibility at low magnification. The 3-15X Veracity does not have a zero stop, so you may want to consider the 4-20X model instead. The Veracity scopes I saw at the SHOT Show had very good optics.

XTR II Scopes - rifle scopes, handgun scopes, hunting scopes by Burris Optics

Veracity Scopes - rifle scopes, handgun scopes, hunting scopes by Burris Optics

14. RCrem700

RCrem700 Active Member

It depends on what HS scope you are looking at. I have an HS-T, and the main difference between that and the PST is the reticle. The PST has an etched glass iluminated reticle, while the HS-T has a wire reticle with no ilumination. Also, the PST is available in a FFP model, while the HS-t is SFP. They have the same turrets and zero stop, and IMO there is no noticeable difference in the glass.