Best scope for the money

coachA

I may be looking for a mythical creature. I want a scope that is a variable power that goes to at leat 14 has a 30mm tube. I don't really know what type of reticle yet but I am leaning toward a mil-dot. I would like the possibility of using it to range as my long range shooting progresses. I would also like one with some type of zero stop. I would really like to keep it at a $1000 or less. I know there is thousand of options about this but I need some help. I truly believe the more info I can get the better decisions I can make.

CoachA

It is tough to get everything you want in that price range. A good used scope could be an option. Vortex Viper PST is good, but I don't know about the zero stop. I would go to SWFA.com and look at the super sniper 3-15 ($700.00). Some guys on Sniper's Hide are making a zero stop for it for $20.00.

Vortex Viper HS LR 4-14x44
Zero stop with 75 MOA of elevation adjustment, has an exposed elevation turret, capped windage turret. You can get a dead hold BDC or mildot reticle I believe. for $460 off camera land.

They truly have one of the best warranty's in the business.

I can get you a vortex viper HS-t 4-14x44 with the mil setup for $520. I like it over the HS-LR for the exposed windage . If you ever have to send it in they'll be back in a week, no questions warranty to any owner, good clear glass. What more can you ask for? Pm me if your interested...

I don't think the above mentioned come in mil-dot, I don't see where they are $460 either, maybe you have to add it to the cart to show up...

I see there is a lot of people that like their vortex scopes. What's the difference between the PST ans the HS?

You should also know about Sightron scopes. The Sightron III scopes glass is a step up from the Vortex PST glass. The Sightrons do not have zero stop but they have open turrets that dial extremely well and come in 6-24x50, 8-32x56 AND 10-50x60! in the tactical scopes. They have a good ranging reticle with 2 MOA hash marks. They are popular with F-Class shooters etc. I think the 8-32x56 is right about $900.00

I have a Vortex PST and a Sightron III and like them both.

Another vote for Sightron S3..I have had mine for 3 years. Always performed and tracked great. Friend of mine has one as well with the same results.

Vortex, Sightron SIII and a Leupold Mark 4. Not sure the price on Leupold, but you can find them used on EBAY often.

Nightforce has a new scope for around $1000, not sure on the specs though.

At a retail price of $950 you are not going to find better "Value for Money" than the Rudolph C1 6-24x50mm T3 Illuminated reticle.

99a82ff26d02901e14dc026887bec4e9_zps7ca7527f.jpg

Contact us at: [email protected]

New Burris Scopes - XTR II and Veracity

The OP should look at the new Burris XTR II scopes, in particular the 3-15X50 model. They have all the features on your wish list. AFAIK, the Burris Veracity scopes have the same optics, but a different mechanical design and reticles.

Both model lines have FFP reticles. For long range hunting, I prefer the Veracity reticles because they have better visibility at low magnification. The 3-15X Veracity does not have a zero stop, so you may want to consider the 4-20X model instead. The Veracity scopes I saw at the SHOT Show had very good optics.

XTR II Scopes - rifle scopes, handgun scopes, hunting scopes by Burris Optics

Veracity Scopes - rifle scopes, handgun scopes, hunting scopes by Burris Optics

I see there is a lot of people that like their vortex scopes. What's the difference between the PST ans the HS?

It depends on what HS scope you are looking at. I have an HS-T, and the main difference between that and the PST is the reticle. The PST has an etched glass iluminated reticle, while the HS-T has a wire reticle with no ilumination. Also, the PST is available in a FFP model, while the HS-t is SFP. They have the same turrets and zero stop, and IMO there is no noticeable difference in the glass.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.