Five top scopes if money WAS an object

Feenix

You wife's MSR has a folding front sight but the S&W the OP has uses a milspec front sight. That requires the taller Pic-Mounts to clear the sight. Even your wife's scope would sit up pretty high on a bolt gun.

You could use it but not the best plan...

KB

Been more deer shot with a Weaver K4 than all the other brands put together. That being said years ago I shot mostly Bushnell Banners. They just seemed clearer to me and they were all I could afford also. For close to 400 yard range I would certainly look into fixed power.

If you are set on a variable (I can't believe I'm going to say this) try a Simmons 44mag in a 4-12. I recently acquired a Husqvarna that had been re-chambered to 300 win mag with this scope on it. Light rifle with substantial recoil. I've been shooting it quite a bit while I'm trying to decide what to do with it. Scope is clear with a nice duplex style reticle. Side dial adjustable objective. It's been standing up the recoil of this rifle and holds zero. I figure I might put a couple more on my AR's. I see these at stores for right around $100.00. Buy two and don't worry about swappin a scope back and forth.

Just my 2cents.

Ive got 2 Zeiss Jena ZF 6x42 and 1 NOS ZF 6x32. They date from the 1980s but their clarity is second to none and the reticle is a close to perfect for medium to close hunting (No 1 with a sharp point on the centre post). None of them cost more than $150.
The lack of windage adjustment is annoying but is achieved by using adjustable bases. They dont change their point of impact and my hunting rifles only get fed one load that I know works. So I dont have the adjust them.
The Carl Zeiss ZF series from West Germany have windage on the scope but cost more.
Whenever I get my hands on a new scope it goes up against the ZFs. Mostly the ZFs are better for clarity, light gathering and shear rock like sturdiness.
I have a new Zeiss 6.5-20 and apart from a friends Nighforces and a Leupold VX3 it is the only scope that can hold a candle to the old Jenas.
They perform right up to dusk.

All of my rifles wear a Nikon Monarch of some sort. They tend to run at the high end of your price range but they have been absolutely great scopes for the money and the lifetime warranty is amazing. I just took advantage of it in fact. I had a 4-16X50mm that ended up with a dust nib in it. I could only see it on 4X so I never really noticed it but recently I decided to contact them mainly to see if I could get the new spring loaded reset turrets installed. They mailed me out a 4-16X50mm Monarch 3 no questions asked. All of the Monarchs I own track beautifully, they come in very useful ranges of magnification and look great on a classic hunting rifle.

For his 40th birthday I got my brother one of the Nikon Prostaff Rimfire models. The Prostaff are a little cheaper but looking through the glass and at the tube they seem to be built identical to the Monarchs except for the plastic turret covers. I don't like busy reticles and do all my windage/elevation adjustments with the turrets. That means lots of on and off for the turret caps. I would not trust the plastic caps to hold up as well as the aluminum ones on the Monarchs. If you like a BDC style reticle I would take a look at the Prostaff and just ignore the caps. For all I know the plastic caps may be perfectly fine.

I think the Bushnell Elite line is a good way to go if you have the money for them. Also, look at their Legend Ultra HDs. I got one (4.5-14x44) and I'm really quite impressed with it.

The Nikon Prostaff 5's with the 4.5-18x44 are great scopes but have 1" tubes, and they run about $350 "street" witha $459 MSRP but you can get them in mil dot, but with MOA turrets.

The Nikon Buckmasters are also available in 4.5-18 with a mildot reticle if you can find one its will be around $300 again mil reticle moa turrets 1" tube

The Millet 4-16x44/50 are good scopes they have mil reticles with the option of mil turrets, and from what I have seen using one of them and what ive read about them they are great scopes for the money. They do have a higher propensity for broken/bad scopes right out of the box but thats more of a quality control issue. they run about $300 but are 30 oz and 16" long a big scope

For around $400 you can get the Vortex Viper PA 6.5-20 in either 44 or 50 mm objectives both have a 30mm tube.

I looked at a ton of these scopes not too long ago I was in the same boat and When It came right down to It my $400 budget turned into a $550 scope but It was worth it, I got all of the features I wanted in a very well made scope. I went with the Vortex Viper HS-T 4-16x44 mil/mil scope and am glad I did. with all of the other ones I would be sacrificing something to save a little bit of money. Side focus Mil/Mil at least 16x magnification and a better than gen 1 mil based reticle were the options I wouldnt reconsider.

The Nikons gave me most of that except they use a standard mil dot.

The Millet gave me all of that but I wanted something lighter. a 30oz scope is alot of weight. And I also didnt want to spend that kind of money on a scope that is a decent optic to be sure but how long lasting would it be? and the reviews are either super positive or super negative. that concerned me.

Ive used one now and they are crisp clear optics with decently tactile adjustments, but its a very large and heavy scope that was almost comical on an AR-15.

After months of looking and saving some more I ended up going slightly over budget, the scope plus a set of Weaver 4 hole skeleton rings put me at just under $600 mounted.

And yes you can get a set of scope rings that you can switch between the AR and a hunting rifle, even with a standard gas block/front sight on the AR-15, with any sort of magnification you just blow right past it and dont see it at all. I have a Tasco 2.5-10 that I used on my Bushmaster 16" carbine for years and only on 2.5 power could you even sort of see that there was something there. On all other powers there was no "shadow" on the target or in the scope from the front sight. If you want a quick detach for the most repeatability get a Larue mount, and just put a spacer on the flat top of the AR for any clearance or cheekweld issues you may see.

Ive got my Vortex mounted on a set of weaver 4 hole skeleton x high rings and it sits pretty low, I could easily use a medium ring with 1/2" spacers to allow me to have the height on the AR that I need and the scope will still be low enough to swap to a hunting rifle.

Even with a set of super nice rings there will be point of impact shift swapping back and forth, but if you take note of your settings you should be very close to zero putting swapping it from gun to gun.

My grandson who has limited funds bought a cheap scope; I think it was a Tasco or maybe a Bushnell (both are marketed by Bushnell anyway). As I recall, it cost less than $20 on sale. Surprisingly, it tracked well and has kept its zero well. The little boy is good for ground hog sized targets out to 200 yards off a rest with it.

That said, I had a Tasco scope that hadn't been used all that much which was about 10 inches off at 100 yards in about 1.5 weeks so don't take this to mean I'm recommending either Tasco or Bushnell scopes. You may get lucky and you may not.

As far as the switching scopes between guns goes, I do it all the time. The rings/bases I've used include Warne, Talley and Blaser. There is no loss of zero in taking a scope off and putting it on again using those mounting systems. Actually, there was one exception I had using Warne QD rings on a 378 Weatherby; there was a slight shift in group location when the scope was reattached so I went to a permanent mount with Warne rings. I've used Warne QD rings even on a 300 Win. Mag. witn no problems.

Unless you get a quality scope with tactical style turrets, it's unlikely that you'll be able to write down settings and expect the scope to be on when moved from one rifle to another. I can do that with a Nightforce or Leupold Mark 4 scope but I'm doubtful you'll do that with a cheap scope.

Feenix

You wife's MSR has a folding front sight but the S&W the OP has uses a milspec front sight. That requires the taller Pic-Mounts to clear the sight. Even your wife's scope would sit up pretty high on a bolt gun.

You could use it but not the best plan...

KB

Yes my front sight is milspec. I have a quick release mount on it now with a scope. Without the added height of the quick release the front sight does get in the way. I tried it without the release no go.

Another vote for the SWFA Super Sniper scopes. The classic line is available with either mil dot. 25 moa turrets but the reticle is in mils. Or the mil quad reticle with 1/10 th mil knobs.
For 300$ its the best in my opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.