took my 6.5 to 1550yds

C

chuck williams

for the first time i shot my 6.5 wildcat at 1550yds according to gps. went the extra 50yds to make **** sure. i ran my 6.5x47 reamer in long to use properly sized 7mm-08 brass. i was pushing the 123 a-max and 123 scenar at 3150fps. it was INCREDIBLE how much flatter and how much less wind drift the scenar had. 8MOA less elevation and 3MOA less wind! i was able to score three consecutive hits with the scenar on my steel IPSC target. the wind was blowing at what i guessed 10mph full value. it must have been more because the windage needed was more than expected for both me and my buddy shooting his 338EDGE. he needed 11MOA windage. i needed more than twice that! he was able to connect twice in a row on several occassions. overall, we had a great time and learned to appreciate even the smallest wind variances.

chuck

the 123 a-max was 53moa and the 123 scenar was 48moa i think the adjustments on my scope are more course than the supposed 1/4" i have not verified this though. i am not sure what my buddy had for elevation but it was far flatter than the a-max. he was shooting the 300gr sierra mk at 2800fps. i remember his windage was 11moa and mine was 30 with the a-max and mid 20's with the scenar. i came up with the cartridge by running my 6.5x47 reamer in far enough to headspace on a properly sized piece of 7mm-08 brass. the capacity is close to a .260 but is has the 30 degree shoulder of the lapua and less body taper. i wanted the 6.5x47 but couldnt stand the thought of being married to HIGH DOLLAR lapua brass. i think the .260AI will shoot just as well, use readily available brass and be easier to form than this wildcat. it will also push the 140gr high bc bullets faster. maybe wade will chime in when he sees this and refresh my memory on his elevation for the shot.

chuck

My elevation was 47moa. It was very exciting to shoot that far and I can't wait til we do it again.

Rwade, welcome, glad to have you here. That's some far shooting, nice job. Enjoy.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.