To choose a new caliber.

Well, between 150-200 pounds the biggest.

Almost everybody agree in upgrade to magnum calibers. So, for you which is the max deer range for the cartridges I said.
i've made shots in and around the mid 600y range with a .308 on mule deer. A lot of it depends on the set up and the ammo used. Some wont agree with that. I was on the max of where I....where "I" felt, there was enough juice to get a nice drop. The rest is all in shot placement...no matter what you are using.

The Tikka 300 win mag seems to be inherently accurate and is capable of making a clean kill at 800 yards. Recommend an aftermarket stock, muzzle brake and quality scope. That combination will give you a very good platform for 800 yard large game kills and for the range. The Tikka only has a 1:11 twist rate but I have one that shoots 200 gr Hybrids very well.
IMG_2014.JPG

The Tikka 300 win mag seems to be inherently accurate and is capable of making a clean kill at 800 yards. Recommend an aftermarket stock, muzzle brake and quality scope. That combination will give you a very good platform for 800 yard large game kills and for the range. The Tikka only has a 1:11 twist rate but I have one that shoots 200 gr Hybrids very well.
View attachment 81409

I have 12 million 30 cal BBLS. Ok..that may be a stretch, but I have a lot of them and use(D) them in 1000 benchrest. Two of my most accurate tubes were a 12 twist shooting the 200 Hybrid and an 11 twist shooting the 215 Hybrid. In fact I think that Berger recommends an 11 twist for the 210VLD. If he ends up with an 11 twist he should at least try the 210/215 class pills.

Just my .02,
Tod

Hi everybody.

I will buy a new rifle and I would like your recommendations to choose the caliber. I am almost sure the rifle will be a Tikka T3 lite or a Tikka T3 Varmint. I will use it for target shooting and for hunting, so I need a good balance between roud price, precision, recoil and stopping power. I need a cartridge capable of:
1) Target shooting at least 1000-1100 yards.
2) Kill deer at least 800 yards away.
3) Enough stopping power to stop a angry hog at 200 yard.

The candidates are 308 win, .270 win, 6.5x55 and 6.5 creedmoor. I must say in my country the last one is almost 50% more expensive than the other ones. ¿Which is the best for that?
Yesterday evening I was thinking of you. I'm creeping along in the truck jut before dark and see something just off to the edge of the road that looks like a bush out of place and it dawns on me it also looks like a pretty big pig.

I shut down and just sit and sure enough not only does the bush turn into a pig when it moves there are two more in the weeds on the right and another facing away from me on the left.

I thought of this thread and while trying decide between the AR and .260 I see even more.

Decision made, grab the AR get out and get set up to study them and see if theres a good sized pig in the bunch as we need more tamales.

Sure enough a blonde boar is walking away slowly and then starts to cross.

I misjudged my lead a bit and put a bullet through just behind one eye and out the other and he ceases to be a problem.

The others are milling about and I start popping them one at a time.

By the time I'm done I've seen 12 pigs over 100lbs and put a total of nine down.

When I get there, the big boar is considerably bigger than I'd initially judged. He was probably close to 300lbs as I took about 150lbs of meat off of him taking probably 80% or more of the meat off of the body.

The Perigrine passed through his head producing a .223 entry give or take an an exit about 3 or 4 times bullet diameter due to the fragmentation of the skull and eye socket.

Killed two more with head shots in the 200lbs range and a total of 9 with 13 shots all in the span of about 20 seconds at around 200-250yds.

Hope that helps.

If you're in Europe, you know the 6.5x55 and ammo is commonly available. The 6.5 has better ballistics than the other choices for 800-1000yds, and it will easier to get a higher velocity out of the 6.5x55 than the CM as well as cost less.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.