Down to choosing a caliber...

Go with the WSM and deal with the recoil, you wont regret it.

-MR

I think that probably sums it up fairly well. While looking through ammo prices yesterday they were a bit more as mentioned but not so much as to make it unattainable.

Federal Premium Vital-Shok Ammunition 30-06 Springfield 180 Grain Nosler AccuBond Box of 20 $38.99
Velocity: 2700fps Energy: 2913 ft. lbs.

Federal Premium Vital-Shok Ammunition 300 Winchester Short Magnum (WSM) 180 Grain Nosler AccuBond Box of 20 $48.99
Velocity: 2960fps Energy: 3502 ft. lbs.

I had actually been looking at two others made by Federal, so that makes me feel better as far as being on the right track.

300 WSM P300WSMD 150 Nosler Ballistic Tip Vital-Shok $39.97
300 WSM P300WSMJ 180 Barnes MRX Vital-Shok $63.00

Their stats were a bit different on their site: Federal Premium - Rifle Ballistics

The Barns MRX had a little better stats than the Nosler AccuBond, but they were also quite a bit more pricey.

I like the fact that I am down to pretty much one bullet weight from coyotes to grizzly.

What is driving this whole thing is the chance to possibly go wolf hunting. Being from Alaska (I assume), what loads do you recommend for such?

Thanks again guys - I think you've convinced me on the 300 WSM as far as caliber goes. I still really like the Weatherby though. Is the Howa action something to really shy away from? I liked the feel of the Weatherby, and at that price I figured I would able to buy a scope that cost as much as the gun, if not a little more.

The Howa action is a Mauser replica, and a good one at that in my opinion. I would not hesitate to buy a Howa. I had a 25-06 in a Howa long action that shot 120 grain SGK in a single hole all day long. You will need to do some trigger work, but it shoots very nicely. Did you check out the Savage's by chance? I never did answer the action length question. You can shoot any caliber out of a short action. The only reason I say this is I have seen it. That 338 Lapua I had mentioned is built on a Savage Target action. It is a right bolt, left port, short action. To pull a loaded round out of the breach requires pulling the bolt, but an empty Lapua mag case will eject with out problem. The short action is believed to be stiffer due the bolt length. Also it is a shorter throw for getting quicker shots off.

Tank

Last edited:
Howa's are a great action. I have a S&W 1500 (made by Howa and basically same as a Howa 1500). It is a solid peice of work and I like it better than the Rem and Ruger actions I have had. Another nice thing about the Howa's is that they have the same receiver scope mounting countour as a Rem. So any bases and rings that fit a Rem 700 will fit the Howa.

With the Vanguard, it should have a target fired at the factory. Ask to see it if you haven't already. The way I understand it, the Vanguards are fired at the factory and then separated into the regular and Sub MOA rifles depending on how they shoot. The regular ones are fired to less than 1.5 MOA and the Sub MOA ones to less than 1 MOA of course. If I were to ever get a Vanguard, it would be a Sub MOA SS, which can be had for about $800 or so.

-MR

On my riffle review, Howa jinxed more then Remington did, and it wasn't the action, in fact action was great :rolleyes: buck shot at 100 yards produce nicer groups :D

If I were you I'd jump on the 300 WSM or Win Mag in a heart beat, though I am a bit anti belted case. I'm betting you'll get a good dose of fiddleitus and begin pushing for accuracy, then distance or maybe the other way around. You'll be able to get more of both from the 300 class for a bunch of reasons.

For most of the stuff you wish to harvest a mid class bullet will do the job (150-165gr). For bigger stuff the 180 will be sufficient and distance can be much greater.

Recoil ain't all that big of a deal. Some where along the line you'll discover the brake. Great new territory to play in.

Thanks Roy - I appreciate the comments. I'm sold on the 300 WSM, and now from these comments:

The Howa action is a Mauser replica, and a good one at that in my opinion. I would not hesitate to buy a Howa.

Tank

Howa's are a great action. I have a S&W 1500 (made by Howa and basically same as a Howa 1500). It is a solid peice of work and I like it better than the Rem and Ruger actions I have had. Another nice thing about the Howa's is that they have the same receiver scope mounting countour as a Rem. So any bases and rings that fit a Rem 700 will fit the Howa.

-MR

...I feel good about the Weatherby. I just wasn't sure if the Howa was a cheaper item they put in their Vanguard line to make them inexpensive and I didn't want to buy something that was going to be junk.

Did you check out the Savage's by chance?
Tank

I did, and I have owned a Savage in the past, a 270. I liked the gun, but really never did much shooting or hunting with it. The Savage was one of the ones I went in and tried out initially when I was looking at all of the rifles. The Weatherby just felt the best and seemed to shoulder more naturally for me. I am reading up on the accu-stock though, in this article: To Bed A Rifle

If I were to ever get a Vanguard, it would be a Sub MOA SS, which can be had for about $800 or so.

-MR

Just like this beauty here: Vanguard Sub-MOA Stainless | Rifles | Products | Weatherby.com

Again, the only thing holding me back on that is the cost. I'm thinking that if I go with the $400 Vanguard model I can afford nicer optics for it, or am I thinking backwards here? I was thinking the $400 for the rifle, and $400 or a bit more for a scope for it. Or should I be thinking $800 for the rifle and $2-300 for the scope?

Thanks again guys - I appreciate you helping out a newbie on your forum.

Darby

On my riffle review, Howa jinxed more then Remington did, and it wasn't the action, in fact action was great :rolleyes: buck shot at 100 yards produce nicer groups :D

There's always the chance of a lemon. I have a Sako Finnlight 300 WSM that shoots about 2-4 MOA. At least the Vanguards are supplied with a real target with real bullet holes :)

Spending wayyyy to much time on the puter on Labor day.... time to git to the mountains and do some fishing :D

Wolves are thin skinned, but I have seen ones that are bigger than a deer in S.C., when I was stationed in Alaska, I used 200gr bullets exclusively, the 300 will push them fast enough to not worry about the trajectory difference of the 180s. Now I use 180gr bullets for everything, the newer bullets are so tough, and expand reliably, and have such good penetration, I go for the extra little bit of velocity. I know I am in the minority, but there is not a game animal in North America that I would ever even question my choice of caliber, I have shot bigger, smaller, and have found that it kills with authority.

Again, the only thing holding me back on that is the cost. I'm thinking that if I go with the $400 Vanguard model I can afford nicer optics for it, or am I thinking backwards here? I was thinking the $400 for the rifle, and $400 or a bit more for a scope for it. Or should I be thinking $800 for the rifle and $2-300 for the scope?

Darby

Your on the right track. It is better to spend a lot of money on optics and as little as possible on the rifle. The optics will make you more of a marksman than the rifle. However, choosing the right rifle will help in the accuracy. Right now my scope is in the shop. I know that I could have shot a tighter group had I had my long range scope on the rifle. With a 3x9 Tasco as a supplement until my good one came back, made me appreciate the quality of optics. Chances are if the rifle does not shoot well, it can be fixed with hand loads or basic smithing. What I mean by basic smithing is: Bedding the rifle, free floating the barrel, and getting a trigger job.

I don't think you will go wrong. Out of cruiosity... what are you looking at for glass?

Tank

Out of cruiosity... what are you looking at for glass?

Tank

Truth be told that was to be my next thread topic, because I don't have a clue what to get. I don't think I've ever spent more than $50-$100 on a scope so I have no clue where to even begin for that.

...I feel good about the Weatherby. I just wasn't sure if the Howa was a cheaper item they put in their Vanguard line to make them inexpensive and I didn't want to buy something that was going to be junk.

Just like this beauty here: Vanguard Sub-MOA Stainless | Rifles | Products | Weatherby.com

Darby[/quote]

Not to throw asparagus on your plan......
Still a caution for you. If you get a Monday morning Vanguard (They say that you should never buy a car that was built on Monday morning.) you may find it really HARD to find a good gunsmith to fix it.

Next issue, Weatherby's warranty. Guaranteed to shoot 1.5 MOA With factory premium ammo, bullet weight of their choosing. Should you get your factory target, shot with 135 grain ammo. Will this fill your need ? If not, can you get it fixed ? If you buy a Remington or Winchester or Browning every gunsmith on the block can easily get parts for them, especially Remington 700.

Just put together my first Remington 700. Put the barreled action on a B and C stock. Totally impressed with Rem's Quality. The action is smoother than the last 3 Vanguards that I have held in my hands. Shot a 0.7 group in the middle of my ladder testing. And I purchased this barreled action for cheap.

+1 on the choice of 300 WSM.

Best of luck with all of this.

Al

JM .02

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.