Help choosing a caliber

bstomper

I feel the need to buy another gun but I'm not sure which caliber to buy. I most likely won't hunt big game with it because I will just use my 7RM just so I have the confidence of the larger cartrage at further distances if I need to reach out. So i'm looking for something that will be cheaper to reload and have less kick and still have good accuracy for targets and varmint/predators at medium ranges (600ish yards). I have been tossing back and forth a few calibers but don't have any hands on experience with any of them, just what I have been searching online. The 243 win. 6.5 creedmoor and the 223 rem are the calibers that I have been leaning towards. To be honest, I have been leaning towards the 243 but keep changing my mind for what ever reason. As far as the 6.5 creedmoor goes, It will be roughly the same cost to reload as my 7RM, so I may as well just use the 7RM. The 223 and the 243 would definately be cheaper to load and have less kick, but I believe the 243 would out perform the 223 and if needed, I could always use it for deer. I guess it sounds like I have my mind made up but I would love to hear opinions from you guys with experience in these calibers.

I reload 6.5 and .243, I don't see any significant savings from one or the other.
You might have specific bullets in mind that may be cheaper but I don't see a savings.
With that said, I love the 6mm but I personally believe the the 6.5 is a more versatile choice.

I am considering building a specific varmit/predator medium to long range rifle, and I'm looking hard at 22 creedmoor.
What I am using now as a "medium" range rifle is a 6 creedmoor which is excellent choice for predators at 600 yards and lethal on deer and antelope.
I own a 6.5 creedmoor as well and prefer the flatter shooting 6 creed over the 6.5 for the application you are describing.

Everyone says the .223 is cheaper to shoot, and it is, if you're shooting surplus ammunition. There comes a point where precision ammunition is required, especially when shooting long range. At that point the cost savings is minimal, and performance handicapped when compared to other choices.

Gotta agree, 6mm Creedmoor is your best choice, followed by .243 Win

Last edited:
Greetings ya'll, here for the first time.
Just another thought given you now shoot 7 RM... how about a 7mm-08?
I've been looking at some in the low-mid range cost offerings and found some dandy Rugers and a Tikka Hunter for a bit more. A bit cheaper to reload and you have something that can be loaded with lighter bullets

TIkkas are great rifles but if you get one in 243 you'll be handicapped with a slow twist barrel.

if you are going with a factory rifle I would get the tikka in 6.5 Creedmore since it has an 8 twist barrel.

I was looking for the same type of set up that you're considering and recently bought a tikka 3006, and put a 7 twist 6mm rem pre-fit barrel on it. It'll cost you about $370 to re-barrel a tikka with a pre-fit from McGowen.

Euro optics has some pretty good deals on the t3's, just over $400
For a light recoiling long range target/deer/ coyote rifle it's hard to beat a 6mm, check out the 110 SMK's they're no joke.

Cost of cartridges if you reload is really down to the different bullet prices and amount of powder used. You control that, in part other than the size of bore and case capacity. If you plan to shoot alot, then the 7RM barrel will go before say a 223 or another bore area to case volume cartridge that has a lower ratio. Go to the accurate shooter web site and read this article (http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/overbore-cartridges-defined-by-formula/) Yes I am the author of the article and have a substantial update pending.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts