To brake or not to brake

I have a Bergara B-14 HMR in 6.5 CM. Recoil is modest to say the least but I was wondering if there is any benefit to putting a muzzlebrake on it other than a "looking cool" factor.
I'm so used to shooting my .45-70s that this is like shooting a .22 LR. So any benefit to the MB?
I put one on a win model 70 300wsm just because I thought it look good. The rifle didn't kick bad but I just thought I had to get one . It does reduce the recoil and easier to keep your head down on the rifle in case a follow up shot is needed . But they are loud and I'm adjusting to wearing hearing protection while hunting , which I do not like .

So I won't choose sides on this debate. However, I will make a couple of statements that I believe are relevant to this topic, and then ask only two questions. Who knows, I may put this topic to rest with good-ole common sense.

Statement: I believe the debate here is all about accuracy, and mainly in "bigger bore" rifles. Because accuracy is determined by many factors, and each factor we can control and improve upon will improve our shot groups/accuracy. I call them "accuracy factors." So I asked myself a question - what group of experts in this arena have consistently studied ballistics and rifles and sought to control the accuracy factors more than any other group in history - and I determined that group of experts is U.S. Military Snipers. So if I am correct, they have accuracy factors down to a science, for sure. Next I realized that in order to solve this current accuracy debate, I need only look at the equipment they currently deploy. Good news for me, there are extensive articles and pictures of their equipment generously spread across the Internet, so everyone can take a look for themselves. After a couple of hours research I was left with two questions:

#1 - Have you all seen the pictures of the current (and recent) U.S. Military Sniper Rifles?
#2 - Don't they all have muzzle brakes at the end of their barrels?

Don't forget, they ARE experts and they DEFINITELY know what they're doing!
To quote Forest Gump...."and that's all I got to say about that."

Wow. 10 pages on using or not a muzzle brake. In one day!
"Do I need this?"
"Dont know. Get down and shoot a few."
Pow...puff
"Did you see your splash through the scope?"
"Yep."
Pow...ting
"Did that feel uncomfortable in your shoulder?"
"Nope."
"Ok. Now screw that on."
Pow...ting Pow...puff Pow...ting
"Any difference?"
"Nope."
"Your call, buddy."
You can have this conversation in your head, saves time and server space. CWF

So I won't choose sides on this debate. However, I will make a couple of statements that I believe are relevant to this topic, and then ask only two questions. Who knows, I may put this topic to rest with good-ole common sense.

Statement: I believe the debate here is all about accuracy, and mainly in "bigger bore" rifles. Because accuracy is determined by many factors, and each factor we can control and improve upon will improve our shot groups/accuracy. I call them "accuracy factors." So I asked myself a question - what group of experts in this arena have consistently studied ballistics and rifles and sought to control the accuracy factors more than any other group in history - and I determined that group of experts is U.S. Military Snipers. So if I am correct, they have accuracy factors down to a science, for sure. Next I realized that in order to solve this current accuracy debate, I need only look at the equipment they currently deploy. Good news for me, there are extensive articles and pictures of their equipment generously spread across the Internet, so everyone can take a look for themselves. After a couple of hours research I was left with two questions:

#1 - Have you all seen the pictures of the current (and recent) U.S. Military Sniper Rifles?
#2 - Don't they all have muzzle brakes at the end of their barrels?

Don't forget, they ARE experts and they DEFINITELY know what they're doing!
To quote Forest Gump...."and that's all I got to say about that."

Most of those "breaks" are for QD of a suppressor...

How does a benchrest rest control muzzle flip?

Now you are saying that the purpose of a muzzle brake is to counter the muzzle flip from a rifle used with a bipod - you are all over the place scrambling to make your point. Poor form with a bipod and unnecessarily loading and torquing on the rifle is what causes the circular muzzle flip. Its a form and mechanics issue Ryan.

MARINE SNIPER SHOOTING 50 CAL' without a break on it..... Just change his form and then he could go look for his shoulder and then the follow up shot when he finds his rifle... Everything has a purpose under heaven.... just joking .. I think form and anything that can medicate recoil is good for shooters ..You guys are getting too serious. AGREE TO DISAGREE. To each his own.WE are all friends here.

Last edited:
Never. You get to adapt and over come by carrying an m3 tripod with you up some god awful mountain before setting up obs.

I have a Bergara B-14 HMR in 6.5 CM. Recoil is modest to say the least but I was wondering if there is any benefit to putting a muzzlebrake on it other than a "looking cool" factor.
I'm so used to shooting my .45-70s that this is like shooting a .22 LR. So any benefit to the MB?

Effectively and efficiently designed muzzle brakes serve two purposes/benefits; recoil reduction and muzzle rise/jump reduction and its utility might boil down to personal choice/preference. I am not recoil sensitive but most of my rifles sport a muzzle brake/suppressor.

I have brakes on my .22LR. Call me a sissy, I don't care. I want all energy going away from me. No flinching, more consistent shooting, looks cool. Whatevs. Go brake.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts