muzzle brake

wstribrny

Im considering a .300 RUM and have gotten input that the recoil can be managed very well by the use of a muzzle brake. My brother however says that the noise heard by the shooter is greatly increased. So, first, is this true, and second will my ears be safe while shooting this in the field at a live game animal without ear protection?

Yes the blast seems louder because the brake directs the blast to the sides and back and if you value your hearing you will always wear ear protection.

There is no more noise with a brake than without. With that said there is more noise directed at you along with the muzzle blast. This is why a brake works. If the gases are directed out to the sides or back in any way the felt recoil is less. If the gases go forward out of the barrel (no brake) you feel more recoil.
Some people do not like muzzle brakes but I would say the vast majority of us do. Makes life a little easier on the shoulder and more comfortable to shoot. Less likely to flinch with less recoil. When Im shooting at an animal I certainly dont notice.lol

Yes i understand that it does not make the noise louder but simply directs more noise to the shooter. Thanks for the input so far. Anyone else care to share their opinion on whether the noise is going to be a hazard to my hearing while shooting without ear protection?

There is no more noise with a brake than without. With that said there is more noise directed at you along with the muzzle blast. This is why a brake works. If the gases are directed out to the sides or back in any way the felt recoil is less. If the gases go forward out of the barrel (no brake) you feel more recoil.
Some people do not like muzzle brakes but I would say the vast majority of us do. Makes life a little easier on the shoulder and more comfortable to shoot. Less likely to flinch with less recoil. When Im shooting at an animal I certainly dont notice.lol

The more noise directed at you will do more damage to your ears. Hunt with hearing protection on or your muzzle brake off.

I've shot brakes that you felt like your ears were going to bleed and the shooter gets a lot of concussion, others you don't even notice that you have a brake except for a slight increase in noise level. I recently put a Muscle Brake on a 270 WSM and my buddy and I took turns shooting it with and without the brake and you could barely tell the difference in sound but a major difference in recoil, I've had several guys comment on it being quite at the range as well!
At any rate I'm getting to the point that if I don't have ear protection I'm not pulling the trigger, you may think your not doing any damage but that just not so, electronic ear muffs are awesome IMO!!

I use the corded plug, I have them in my pocket, pack and around my neck, so if I lose one I have back ups. I have turned into such a puss that I even take them hunting with an unbraked gun.

If i have time i will put them on, and if you are shooting long range you usually have time. When i don't have time, my ears don't ring much more than with out the brake. I sure wouldn't want to go to the range with out plugs though. I think every once in a while you will be fine with out them. I would just not do it if there was any way around it.

Alright. It seems that the general consensus is that if i value my ear i will have ear protection on at all times. With all the hunting that i will be doing in the bush of Alaska, that is NOT an option for me. There will be points where i do not have time to put ear protection in so i guess im going to have to ball up and deal with the recoil. I will be investing in a nice recoil pad. Thanks to everyone for your input.

The electronic ear muffs were mentioned, ie bionic ear for example. Can improve what you hear and still block out harmfull noises.

I don't shoot guns so light, or calibers so heavy, that I need a brake. I can't stand most brakes. I do have two, though. The one on my heavy ar carbine, came on the barrel, definitly makes it louder, I can't tell the difference in recoil, this one doesn't bother me too much. The one on my Springfield V10, I hate, but it's necessary to control the muzzle flip on the 3inch barrel. (think I just made and oxymoron, ugh)

I have several brakes and the smaller the hole the higher the pitch so it seems louder. My next brake will be one of the muscle brakes from Jim at Center Shot. The ports are big and the last port is straight so it deflects the blast.
I always put on ear protection on before I shoot but every now and then I don't have time. It is not usually a big deal. The brake will help you shoot better.

Kinda like Jim, I always wear ear protection and so do my buds. Electronic earmuffs ftw. A friend put a brake on his 300RUM Sendero- McMillan A5 stock, Mk 4 optics- and it's a pleasure to shoot- shoots bugholes too. Some say the recoil's like a 243, others 308 with nice recoil pad. I can't tell much difference between the two...

Now, too bad Jim doesn't make a Muscle Brake that'll fit my XCR barrel. I wanted the MB, but I guess I'll have to settle for the standard CSR...:rolleyes::D

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.