what muzzle brake?

raider1v1

Well after combing the internet and long, long talks in the shop, I have made this list of brands, what one will offer the most reduction in recoil?

1. Slimline Muzzlebrakes

2. Holland's Quick Discharge Muzzle brake

3. Mag-na-brake

4. Ops Inc Brake

5. Vais Arms Inc.

I was reading that the baffle types (I think the only ones of the 5 are the Ops Inc, and the holland) will do a better job than the expansion (the remaining 4 types)

what do you guys reccomend, this will be going on a .308 Savage 110fp w/ a simonson machine alum. stock

thanks.

[ 09-12-2004: Message edited by: raider1v1 ]

I guess I can only suggest the holland brake. as the brakes that I make are a knockoff of the holland and they are super! but I have a hankerin' to try an OPS.and yes I believe the holland or the OPS would have the most recoil reduction.

308 nate
smile.gif

raider

You need to consider what you are going to use that rifle for. If you're looking at recoil reduction alone, the baffle types will work best but they have unpleasant side effects. For general all around use the expansion brakes such as the Vais give good recoil reduction without most of the side effects. If you intend to shoot the rifle in any sort of competition you may be restricted by the rules, depending on the type of competition you shoot in. If looks are a consideration go for whatever turns you on.

[ 09-13-2004: Message edited by: Cheechako ]

Raider1v1,

I personally recommend the Holland QD brakes to all of my customers because they are extremely efficient. By that I mean they reduce recoil dramatically. Much more then most brakes and the only exception being the JP brake mentioned earlier.

Still the JP is flat out ugly in my opinion and very large. Still it is the most efficent brake on the market.

I recommend the Holland because they flat out work great and they are designed with hunters in mind as they have a solid bottom to allow teh shooter/hunter to fire the rifle in prone position without getting covered with blast debris from the ground. THis is a big plus for my heavy recoiling big game rifles and extreme range varmint rifle customers.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Raider1v1,

The JP is a totally side ported brake meaning it only vents out both sides so there will be no ground blast to worry about.

Side effects of the more efficent brakes like the Holland and JP are that they can tend to produce much more of a shock wave felt by the shooter and bystandards.

In big magnum rounds, this shock wave can sometimes be discribed as a slap to your face and forhead.

I have even had a few customers have this distract them so much that they could not accurately shoot their rifles even though the recoil was basically gone.

Another factor that most do not think about is the these brakes on large rounds are hell on windows when fired in close proximity to them.

Such as over car or truck hoods and near house or shop windows.

I had a custom pick up a 30-378 Wby that I fitted with a Holland QD brake. I gave him the standard once thorugh of what not to do with the braked rifle such as shoot it over the hood of his truck.

He called me a week later and said I really knew my S___! He never believed a brake would hurt a truck windshield but he said from teh spider all over the passenger side of the windshield, obviously they can.

We really have no need to be shooting off a vehicle hood anyway!!

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

how does the shooter feel it? im going to be directly behind it

and .308 isnt that big

[ 09-13-2004: Message edited by: raider1v1 ]

raider -

The effects you feel will depend on the type of brake you choose and the caliber and velocity. With a 308W you are right. Probably not going to feel much. Which takes me back to my post, about 4 posts back. I said it all depends on what you are after. I was going to ask why you even felt the need for a brake on a 308W but it wasn't my business. If you want a brake by all means do it. I have 3 rifles with brakes and I use them for the purpose of being able to see the bullet strike and to make recovery from recoil a little quicker. They are all Vais brakes so most of the side effects are felt more by bystanders than by me. At the risk of repeating myself, you first have to ask why you want a brake. From there the decision gets easier.

[ 09-13-2004: Message edited by: Cheechako ]

oh sorry, i thought that i had posted that.

I have just one thing really. The first is that i would like to not lose my sight picture when shooting.

Other than that i really just wanted to have the recoil as low as possible. when i do get a chance to go to the range, its a long day and any reduction in recoil is very much appreciated.

so is the JP a bad choice? what i wanted was for there to be the biggest reduction in recoil possible and from peoples posts it is the most efficient design on the market as of today.

The baffel style brakes work better. I have two Jp breaks and they work great they reduce recoil more than any other breaks I have had. Vias style breaks are okay but they don't reduce recoil like the JP or other good tank style breaks. Reed

well i like the look of the JP its not the big of a deal. im looking for function over form in this case.

oh what are the side effects? are you just talking about the noise? i wear plenty of ear protection so its not hthat big of a deal.

as far as dust the JP's dont look open so they wont kick up that much will they?

The JP is absoluty the most effective of the bunch you mentioned , if you can stand the looks then it will give you what you want.
Typical I have seen that the muzzel blast to the shooter is alot less than to anyone standing of to the side.

well i know that it has been said before, but form follows function. the function here was the most efficient muzzle brake. i really am not concerend with the looks of it.

i just wanted to make sure that i had the best one. thanks for all the help

[ 09-15-2004: Message edited by: raider1v1 ]

I just had parrysgunsmithing.com put on one of his custom on a 300rum and as with the KDF and Vais that I have all work fine and do what is expected reduce recoil. I can only comment on what I use and of the four different makers I couldn't say one is better than the other. Well good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.