To brake or not to brake

I have shot benchrest and F- class matches where breaks where not allowed
No kidding? That's why they have thousand dollar rest with flat bottom Stocks made to recoil straight back it's called tracking it's been discussed already in this very thread. I can lead a dog the water I can't make it drink I'm out good luck to the OP

I have the same rifle and caliber, and yes I bought and installed a muzzle brake. Yes it does make it loader but the extra bonus is my barrel doesn't hardly move upward when I shoot it. I can clearly see my bullet impact my targets, the brake I bought is call Quite brake, don't remember the make or model, but I think I got it from Brownells supposed to be quieter than your normal brake.

My only firearm with a brake is my 7-08 Pachmayr Dominator single shot pistol conversion. The SSK brake substantially reduced muzzle flip and felt recoil, it also blows the crap out of nearby shooters on the range and it did nothing to improve or hurt the accuracy. It was worth the expense on this firearm but I would not put one on another of my firearms, unless Santa brings me something equal to or larger than .338.

So, you're saying a brake is a crutch for poor form? All those PRS shooters must have terrible form then, because 98% of them run a brake at the professional level, and those other two are just old school still running suppressors.
Yes. Top shooters in PRS are running 20+ pound 6mm's with 8 ounce (or lighter) triggers. That kind of setup does not demand good fundamentals and is also a crutch to poor form. They run those rigs because they are forgiving to shooter error and they are looking for any way to supplement mistakes. It's not because their gun is more accurate/precise, it's because the shooter can make bigger mistakes - there's a difference.

You can spot your impacts without a brake on a 7 mag or 300 RUM huh? From field positions too you say? Good for you. Spot a miss on a snowbank then or out into a field of sage and tell me where it went? Having a brake gives you a much better chance of being able to follow trace. And sometimes that's all you get.
Yes, I can spot impacts with my unbraked 7mag. And yes it took much more practice for me to get to that point - probably more practice than all the professional shooters here on the internet. That unbraked, relatively light, magnum sure tells me when I'm getting lazy as a shooter. I've also got a 17-pound all-up 6.5cm that I run suppressed, and that rig let's me be very lazy as a shooter - so yeah, I get it.

I get the downside of the difference in noise, which is why I usually hunt suppressed, but I don't get people talking down to someone who wants the best chance they can get of spotting an impact or following trace.
Who was I talking down to? I just agreed with another member on here.

Recoil management does not mean you shoot heavily recoiling rifles. It means you are able to appropriately manage the recoil & stay on target. If you as a shooter need an external device to assist - I get it.

Phil Velayo (an actual professional shooter), has a lot a really good video's showing his ability to manage recoil shooting on a concrete pad without a rear bag & bipod with spiked feet. Recoil is straight back without "bipod hop". He's not immune to the laws of physics, he's just better than majority of shooters.

So seriously, if you are running PRS and want to see your impacts better to make quicker adjustments, of course a brake makes sense. It doesn't make the gun more accurate. It reduces recoil - thats it, maybe adds a little velocity depending on the break.

I am 5'2" 120 and have been a competitive pickle ball player for 20 years, so I'm obviously a high level athlete too....shrug :)
I appreciate you reading into my comment that I am a high level athlete :) Thats flattering. Also, your comments seem to make more sense now - you got the little man syndrome thing going on apparently. Use a brake if you want or need to, its a bandaid for poor technique, especially with smaller calibers. To each their own.

My first muzzle brake was on a 300 ultra mag. I didn't have a problem with the recoil, it was pretty high but bearable
I put the brake on and was impressed.
The brake made a lot of noise, I wear hearing protection anyway, but it made it so I could shoot all day

My second brake was on my new 3006 because I recently had neck surgery. The brake again made it so I could shoot all day without great pain

I recently had a 6.5 PRC built and had a brake put on it while they were building it.
Really not necessary with the recoil on the 6.5 , but felt it might help protect my neck. The 6.5 PRC with the brake shoots like a 22 mag. Fun to shoot...

I have no idea why or what causes it, but my son's 7mm ultra sighted in at 100 yards with a Guide series brake shoots
.5 moa, but if you unscrew the brake, the group is around 2 inches. We have tested this many times at different temperatures in the range here in the yard. Puzzling to me but he never shoots it without the brake anyway.

One other thing We have noticed hunting whitetails is if you shoot a deer that is in a group, they don't run because they don't know where the shot came from due to the way the brake works.
Sorry for being so long winded....

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.