To brake or not to brake

I put a break on my Bergara Premier HMR PRO and groups at 100 yards off the bench tightened up by enough to measure the difference. Overall I feel its a benefit to getting better hits. Could I have better fundamentals? Sure and I am always working to better and in PRS a break makes it easier to stay on target and get off subsequent shots.
How do you like the HMR-PRO? I just bought one in 300 WM but have not had time to work up a load for the new 300. Been shooting a Winchester 70 in 300 WM for years. H-1000, 185 gr spbt ,cc'ing Mag prim, 79gr Gris powder

Anything which mitigates ANY influence on a rifle will increase the probability of precise impacts on a continuous string of shots. Variance in the pressure of a cheek weld, grip, point of rest of the forearm, bipod load, bore-axis to shoulder pocket (coming off the scope between shoots) can, and will affect repeatable accuracy, IMHO.
You win this debate, lol. Not every shot we take requires perfect form, and there are times there will be no shot if we have to get into a perfect position to pull it off, and in these times recoil reduction just may help.
I have 5 suppressors sitting idle, I like brakes, I guess I did not know my form or technique was flawed. I like being at a range when someone pulls up with a big magnum and breaks out his lead sled to shoot it. When asked why not just brake it, answer of "I don't like brakes" always exits their mouths. I have to ask just what did you learn or accomplish strapping that rifle down in that contraption.
To the OP, why would you not just buy a brake and try one instead of gathering opinions? It is only you who can decide if one is worth it to you.

I have a Bergara B-14 HMR in 6.5 CM. Recoil is modest to say the least but I was wondering if there is any benefit to putting a muzzlebrake on it other than a "looking cool" factor.
I'm so used to shooting my .45-70s that this is like shooting a .22 LR. So any benefit to the MB?
I'll solve this whole thing for you right now, I have a self timing Area 419 hellfire 6.5 brake sitting idle, pm me your address, I will ship it to you to try for yourself. Run a test next weekend with and without it on if your Bergara is threaded. Send it back when done, I can't see how a muzzle brake could get damaged.
This is a simple offer.
EDIT: I would expect a slight review on here after though.

I'll solve this whole thing for you right now, I have a self timing Area 419 hellfire 6.5 brake sitting idle, pm me your address, I will ship it to you to try for yourself. Run a test next weekend with and without it on if your Bergara is threaded. Send it back when done, I can't see how a muzzle brake could get damaged.
This is a simple offer.
EDIT: I would expect a slight review on here after though.

This is a perfect example of how this community is supposed to be. I applaud you Milo for your generosity.

This is a perfect example of how this community is supposed to be. I applaud you Milo for your generosity.
Thanks, LMAO, getting a general consensus on some things becomes futile at times. And even if you opt to go the direction of the majority, it still may not be your cup of tea, sometimes you just have to jump and see where you land.

I already made a statement and it is fact. You may be correct sitting on flat ground where you have all the time in the world to set up your shooting position but you are wrong when you have to take a shot from an odd position. The FACT is the less the reticle moves upon firing the more likely your bullet is to hit where you are aiming, not a minute away, not .5 moa away. The spot you are aiming at. Use one, dont use one I could not care less. They will make your more precise over more shots.

Please explain to me why you think Benchrest shooters literally spend thousands on rests to get the rifle to track perfectly??? Now tell me a brake does not help achieve that same goal. You can't. If you can you have not fired many rifles with and without a brake. We can go around and around but you are wrong. I can't make you want or feel the need for one but these benefits are facts not opinions. The only opinion part is worth.
They sure work on a 50 cal.

Brakes on tanks and artillery. I saw a guy shooting a desert tech rifle 50 cal he had a brake on it... But he attached a 10 lb sandbag under the rail to hold it down. He wanted to HIT A MILK JUG at a mile, he did it in 6 shots. I'm sure they are selling these sandbags at midway for 50 dollars now ...joking.... If it works someone will sell it, that I am sure of.

I have a brake on my 300 WSM. It's called a MUSCLE brake I think. I can spot my own shots. Call my own misses. Make my own corrections. Because the recoil is so mild I never lose sight of my target. I cannot explain how useful that is.

I have a Bergara B-14 HMR in 6.5 CM. Recoil is modest to say the least but I was wondering if there is any benefit to putting a muzzlebrake on it other than a "looking cool" factor.
I'm so used to shooting my .45-70s that this is like shooting a .22 LR. So any benefit to the MB?
A muzzle brake if properly timed will offset the muzzle climb by diverting some gas at a downwards angle. This will negate muzzle climb to a degree. If your brake is well engineered such as say an MBM bastard, or a V6G Epsilon in the appropriate caliber you will gain a muzzle flash hider as well. This may or may not influence your decision. However please visit the MBM web site and view the videos on line. The are very compelling and did influence me to purchase a tune-able brake.(no crush washers needed here) Alignment is very straight forward and very easy to accomplish with out any additional tool to be purchased. (barrel vise, specialized tooling or anything else for that matter). Now the down side ,you will experience a more robust noise level from said muzzle blast,as so will your shooting neighbors. It can become so intense as to incite them to complain about the noise levels to the RSO. Fortunately with some manufactures there are ways to mitigate that level of noise. Look at the VG6 Epsilon web site for details. Yes you will experience a degree of time to reacquire your target without the use of a brake and when shooting for either follow up shots at game or in competition, both of which require perhaps a second shot immediately and lost seconds can never be recalled, well I will go on record as stating the obvious that they do far more than just looking cool, but rather perform a perhaps much needed service depending on in the case of say game you may not get another chance at that one in a lifetime opportunity. OBTW did I mention the extra 2' - 3" added to your barrel which will increase the initial MV while only adding a few ounces of weight to your weapon.
Hope this will help you in making an informed decision.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.