Timney trigger pull weight decreases in cold?

Arctic Cowboy

I've got a factory set 2lb Timney trigger on my Rem 700. it shot great through the summer and fall. first pull of the day always seemed to be a bit heavier than 2lbs, but every pull after that was clean and crisp.

I had it out a few days ago in around 10 deg and when I started my dry fire practice the firing pin would drop evert me the bolt was closed. I removed the bolt and wiped everything down which seemed to help, but I barely touched the tiger when the firing pin would drop. it couldn't have been more than a half pound. I tried a few more times with the same result. I had two friends try the rifle and they reported the trigger was much lighter than usual. After firing around 20 rounds the trigger seemed to return to the normal 2lb breaking point.

Fast forward to this morning. I put the rifle outside in the cold for a few hours to try and replicate the problem and I got the same problem. Please help. I've rifle apart and can't see anything out of place. it's and hunting rig and I can't have these problems if I'm going to take it into the field. Thanks much guys.

Flush the whole trigger housing out with butane lighter fluid. There may be some grease and dirt in it. If it still doesn't stay cocked then it sounds like the sear engagement needs some adjustment.

Flush the whole trigger housing out with butane lighter fluid. There may be some grease and dirt in it. If it still doesn't stay cocked then it sounds like the sear engagement needs some adjustment.

+1 sounds right, I have several rifles with Timney triggers and you don't need any grease on them just a very light coat of oil or no oil at all.

^ Im thinking this as well.

Timney has instructions on how to reset the sear that i find to work well.

A good test to see if the sear is set wrong, is to cock the bolt on fire and then engage the safety. If there is resistance on the safety either the sear engagement or the safety ( or both ) needs to be adjusted.

A word of caution: The timney/Remington design is not intended to be used with a trigger pull under 1lb. This design needs more force than that to properly reset the sear. Under 1lb with this design, in my opinion, is a dangerous condition so be EXTRA safe when checking or firing this rifle until you can be sure it is working normally.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.