What trigger pull weight

GSoD

I'm wondering what everyone is running for trigger pull weight on their hunting rifles?

I had originally tried 2lbs on the new Jewell HVR. I loved the feel but it would trip when I cycled the bolt hard.

So I upped it to 2.5lbs and it didn't fire when I cycled hard, dropped the gun from 12" or when moving the safety on and off.

Is 2.5lbs considered acceptable or would you recommend I go to 3lbs?

I'm wondering what everyone is running for trigger pull weight on their hunting rifles?

I had originally tried 2lbs on the new Jewell HVR. I loved the feel but it would trip when I cycled the bolt hard.

So I upped it to 2.5lbs and it didn't fire when I cycled hard, dropped the gun from 12" or when moving the safety on and off.

Is 2.5lbs considered acceptable or would you recommend I go to 3lbs?

If it's safe at that pull weight, and you like it, leave it alone. I would recommend testing the cycling of the action and safety in the cold, as in as cold as you are likely to be hunting. I personally like my triggers set at 2-2.5lbs., any lighter and I can't feel the trigger when it's cold.

I like 2.5 pounds on my hunting rifles. I can fill the trigger and with a little squeeze BOOM. I do have one rifle with a 1 3/4 pound pull I have to be careful with. By all means do what devildoc said and check that trigger when it is cold. I set up a rifle once in the summer with a 2 pound trigger pull that passed the drop test. When I went hunting in the winter the first morning it was about 30* and when I loaded the rifle and closed the bolt it would not stay cocked, the firing pin would follow the bolt as it closed. I had to sit in the truck all morning while my hunting buddy went out and killed a nice 8 point buck. When we got back to his house I got out his tools and re-adjusted the trigger so it would work in the cold. It ended up at 2.5 pounds.

That trigger should be perfectly safe at that pull weight as well as much lower , the sear engagment (creep) is out of adjustment ,I have a Jewell set at 18oz and its perfectly safe when cycling the action even slamming it close , safety works fine on and off back and forth the only time it goes off is if its dropped on its but from more than 16" but I think the all steel trigger shoe is the main trouble their !!

Much cheaper triggers like Timney and Rifle BAsix are safe at bull weight don in the ounces when proper adjusted , hell a factroy Rem trigger can be taken down to a crisp 2lb safely with a little stoning and a new spring

Gsod

The jewell should go lower without falling when the safety
is dropped!!

Look at your instructions and see if you need to adjust the sear
engagement. NOTE!!! (this is normaly not recomended) but it sounds
like it may be the problem.

For hunting I like 3 or 4lbs of trigger pull as long as I dont have to think
about why it has not gone off. (It should surprise you).

J E CUSTOM

Many seem to like a lighter pull than I. Much of my deer hunting is in cold, humid climates, often in drizzle or rain and a light pull is a handicap when my fingers are often stiff and somewhat numb with cold. I want a trigger pull of no less than 3# and feel that 3.5# is no handicap at all in the deer woods.

For varmits - in warm weather - I use a rifle with a 2# pull and my bench rifle has a 2 oz. trigger. But I wouldn't take either of them into the woods in hunting season!

Thanks for all the info! I'll bump it up to 3lbs to see how it feels.

The Jewell has adjustable sear engagement, pull weight and overtravel.

Which one of these do I adjust to ensure I have the least amount of trigger travel? "IE, breaks like glass?" But make it the most stable?

I've already done the recommended:

"Cock action, turn screw (1) inward until action fires. Back screw out approximately 3/4 turn."

"Recock action, turn screw (2) out until it contacts tab (12). While applying pull on the trigger shoe, turn screw inward until action fires. Turn screw inward another 1/4 turn."

Thanks again for all the insight!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.