Trigger pull weight

NOODLES

Can someone tell me what would change trigger pull weight?? When the rifle is UNLOADED the trigger is a light, perfect "target" pull. When there is a shell in the chamber its so **** Heavy I have actually checked to see if the safety was on! WHAT WOULD CAUSE THIS ??? I cant see anything out of place or broken or missing (That I know of anyway) Thanks any help is appreciated!!

Do you feel much of any difference when closing the bolt w/o a round versus with a round?

Its a remington 600 mohawk, But its fitted with a .223 bull barrel also remington, One thing was brought to my attention and I compared a fired brass with a live round and the shoulder angle is different, its sharper on the fired brass. I may just have to fireform everything. I got the gun used and the guy that built it had died so I have limited info. THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!

You probably know this but, I say it anyway, Just make sure you know what to feed it. Rare but it does happen that a barrel is stamped with one cartridge but chambered for something different. Let us know how it goes.

A response from the dunce corner here. It sounds like something is binding the firing pin when a cartridge is loaded into the chamber. I agree with others that it is not digesting something you are feeding it. You well may have to do a chamber cast to determine what this rifle was made into. I have a 600 and the triggers on them are somewhat adjustable and I have mine down as low as possible without it being a slam-fire special, and it doesn't change pull weight whether loaded or empty. That is a real poser.

The shoulder angle might indicate that it is an Ackley Improved cartridge, but I've never heard of a horrible/different trigger pull while normally fire-forming. It sound like the issue has to do with the bolt itself though, of course the firing pin shouldn't be affected unless the bolt's cocking mechanism is.

Thanks for the input guys, I told my gunsmith what its doing and the first thing he said was "something must be putting pressure on the bolt" BUT until he gets a look inside he cant say for sure. I told him to let me know when he finds something out. I dont want to bug him but as soon as I hear I will let you all know. THANKS AGAIN!!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.