Tikka 300 WSM vs the Remington Model 700 30.06 for long range shooting

What would you use? a Tikka T3 300 WSM vs the Remington Model 700 30.06 for long range shooting

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

razor8955

Tikka T3 300 WSM vs the Remington Model 700 30.06 for long range shooting

I have both of these rifles and they were purchased around 2002 and they both have less than 50 rounds thru them. I would like to take up long range shooting and would like opinions and reasons If you could. I have been lurking and really like the conversations/information that I have seen here. I used to shoot some rifle around 2002 but took up pistol. I am retiring soon and would like take it up again. Thanks again for the help

I kind of do things the older way and basics are good. Both are more than capable of long range depending on what you call long range. Max distance depends on their accuracy and velocity standard you set. I like solid bullet expansion (1700fps min on target) with a heavy for caliber hunting bullet....in both of those a 180gr works best for me. I have a 06 700 from 70's ADL, factory stock, trigger, plastic butt plate, 1.5" radial brake, and I bedded and floated the barrel I use for 7-1200 yard practice with a 4.5-14 VXIII. Shoots a 175 match (practice bullet I don't use it for hunting) into .5" groups all day long and 1000 yards on a 24" target is repeatable.

On paper, I'd bet they are pretty comparable, but tell us more. What is the scope, twist rate, barrel length, scope mount, stock shape/material, weight, trigger pull of each rifle? What dies, components and/or loaded ammo do you have for each?

In real life, they are different. I would buy a couple boxes of Hornady Precision Match ammo for each. Shoot 5 groups of 5 rounds on a single paper. which is better? Which is easier to shoot off a solid rest?

yup, need to know more about what you want to achieve and what the barrel twist in each rifle so you can narrow your bullet options. Most likely the 300wsm will give you a 200fps advantage ( however, accuracy trumps speed)

Both will land .308 bullets at 1000yd but the one with the most accuracy using the highest BC bullet is the one you should go with. They are both solid starting places until you are eat up with the bug and start your next build....Mhu ha ha ha