Remington Sendero vs Long range?

b money

I'm looking at buying a 300RUM and have got it narrowed down to either a remington 700 Sendero or a remington 700 "long range". After looking all over I can't find anyplace on the net that states why a Sendero is worth almost twice as much. I know they are known for their accuracy but other then the hs stock, stainless steel(which I'm not a huge fan of), and maybe a trigger. is there any real reason I should spend the extra $300-500 on the Sendero? I already have a 700P/PSS in 308 and the HS stock is great but I'm beginning to think a first generation Sendero with the narrow Palm swell might be nice or the Bell and Carlson m40 on the long range. Also regardless of what trigger comes in the gun I'm putting a timney I have sitting on the bench in it. As time and money allow I will upgrade whatever I get. I don't mind paying for the Sendero if it will get me one hole groups where as the long range may only get 3/4-1moa. But there again I don't know and if $650 will do just as good as $1000 plus just maybe no with as much class then I'll go with the $650 aka "long range" and spend the rest on gear.

Last edited:
I was in the same situation . My hunting partner has an older Sendaro model. I was going to get one when I came across a Long Range model. I purchased it and I am pleased with its' accuracy. It is just as accurate as his Sendaro. He didn't like the stock so he changed it out. Both of us are unhappy with the Remington triggers. Other than the trigger, the only change I will do to mine is install a brake.

I'd spend the extra money on ammo and gear.

the stock on the sendero is lighter and the barrel on the sender is lighter/ fluted ; so the over all the sendero is lighter. usually heavier is better for long range shooting. so I while I only have senderos, the long range would be great.

I've got a Sendero and a Long Range in 300WM. The LR cost almost 1/2 of the Sendero. The LR can do everything that the Sendero can. Both guns can get 3 shots touching at 100 yards.

I bought the Sendero about a year before the LR was released. If I had to do it over again, I would have waited for the LR and not purchased the Sendero.

I got the 700 Long Range in the 300 RUM back in early spring of this year. Played around with some loads and had very good results. I was so impressed with the gun, I went and bought it's little brother in the 25-06. The 25-06 had a chamber issue but after Remington had it for less then two weeks, I had it back, with a new barrel and it'll shoot just as good as the 300 RUM. Both have been bedded and timmy triggers. On my good days either gun will shoot sub 1/2" -5 shoot groups at 200 yards. I would take another Long Range over a Sendero anyday.

Well gee thanks for helping me save $400 that's what I'll be looking for. My local dealer quoted me $640 on the 300RUM long range I have no clue what a Sendero might run but it no doubt saves room for badger rail, rings and part of a vortex scope. Also after looking at stainless vs CM debates yet again im still convinced stainless is not all its always cracked up to be. So it works out. Now to figure out the best stock to put it in haha.

Well gee thanks for helping me save $400 that's what I'll be looking for. My local dealer quoted me $640 on the 300RUM long range I have no clue what a Sendero might run but it no doubt saves room for badger rail, rings and part of a vortex scope. Also after looking at stainless vs CM debates yet again im still convinced stainless is not all its always cracked up to be. So it works out. Now to figure out the best stock to put it in haha.

You can save even more money... Instead of the high-priced Badger stuff, get an EGW HD 20MOA rail and some Seekins Precision rings. Makes for a very solid setup.

Half of the LR's I've seen get a new tube because they won't hit a barn, this may be good or bad depends on your plans. If your planning on changing the stock out on the LR just get a new action and put a quality gun together from the start, IMO the LR is only a good buy if your cool with the stock and action and plan on buying a new barrel. Please don't put an EGW on it saw yet another one last month that was so jacked up you could not zero the rifle on windage.

I paid 650 out the door. I have read more positive on he LR then neg. ordered the timney as well. Guess i could have ordered a cooper or a good gun lol. Ill take my chances on 650 ha

Half of the LR's I've seen get a new tube because they won't hit a barn, this may be good or bad depends on your plans. If your planning on changing the stock out on the LR just get a new action and put a quality gun together from the start, IMO the LR is only a good buy if your cool with the stock and action and plan on buying a new barrel. Please don't put an EGW on it saw yet another one last month that was so jacked up you could not zero the rifle on windage.

Never had that problem with any of mine... Must have been a bad batch.

Sendero/LR it's all the same buy the cheaper one. I myself got
Sick of chasing cold bore zeros on hammer forged barrels years ago! Little groups aren't worth much if your cold bore zero changes with min enviro changes. Hammer forged is hammer forged! Good luck with your new stick.

Well I ended up finding a long range 300rum and a big box store, and because of a promotion and some saved gift cards I have it would end up being $612 out the door. So I think I'm going to go that route. Thanks for all the help.

Four guys from my squadron had a similar experience this year; 3 of them got rid of theirs but only 1 is doing the re-barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.