Thunder@1400 yards

GG,
Thanks to the measuring tape you had laying accross I was able to resize the interested portion of the picture to life size. As you would imagine, the rest was easy.
Great Shooting!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Is that hole in the top center from the infamous Lop-wah (Lapua) incident?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it is. So far, it is the only bullet/cartridge combo that has done that. I really wonder if that bullet ever stopped! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

The only time I ever got an SD that low was with the 357 SIG. What powder and primer were you using? Do you have to change the powder as the temp changes or did you work the load under hunting type temps ? Great load great setup and great shooting. You just got to love EXBAL are you using the newest version ?

Thanks,Keith

Thank you.
I was using RL22 and Fed 215gm primers.

This load seems to work well in all temps until it gets to about 85 degrees. Then it still shoots good but tends to loosen primer pockets.

I have two versions of Exbal. One old one new.

was that hole from a .338 lapua magnum? or something else, and if it was a story would be nice, im really considering that round.

The hole came from the thunder (which is similiar in ballistics to the Lapua) and the 250 grain Lapua Scenars. They are really good bullets but really bad for anything but paper. At least in .338 caliber anyway.

The gong was at 100 yards when the hole was formed.

Yep it has a brake and I'd venture to guess that the recoil would be more like a 270 Win than a 300 Win. But I'll stand corrected if GG disagrees.

[ QUOTE ]
Yep it has a brake and I'd venture to guess that the recoil would be more like a 270 Win than a 300 Win. But I'll stand corrected if GG disagrees.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a 338 Lapua with a #4/5 barrel with a brake and I would imagine it is shooting bullets at about the same speed as the thunder. The brake is not fancy, but it has way less recoil than a 270 without a brake. I worked on a Ruger 270 and s Sendero 270 and both of those kicked more than the 338 Lapua.

Stock geometry comes into play as well. My 338 Lapua is in a McHale stock.

James

well i have a monte carlo stocked .270 win with a heavy contour barrel about 24'' long not sure on the contour# as it is the factory barrel. and it has a decelerator kickpad. so im not sure what the .270adl is it more powerful than a regular .270?

Remington makes (made) two versions of the model 700. One version is the "ADL" and one version is the "BDL". The difference is the blind magazine versus a bottom drop magazine. Both versions will come chambered in the 270 Winchester cartridge.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.