338 Thunder II

Sounds like he had some excitement! :D

Tks for sharing.

Well, he killed three antelope, two elk, a deer, and several coyotes. His farthest was a doe antelope at just over 1500 yards. Hit her with a 300 grain SMK and it went from butt to chest and exited. She was drinking out of a pond when the bullet struck and she dropped right into the water and probably drowned before she lost all and I mean all of her blood. Exit wound was grapefruit sized!

His farthest coyote was around 900 yards if memory serves and it almost cut it's head off.

One of the elk was under 20 yards in a self defense situation and the 225 Accubond went in the chest and out the rear and the elk skidded to a stop on it's belly so close that he touched the nose with his muzzle!
A quick bugle in the pre-dawn light set this bull off into a full on charge.

Goodgrouper-------------->
When your Wyo friend shot the deer or yotes did he use a bypod, log or how?Just curious his successful methods. IP

Goodgrouper-------------->
When your Wyo friend shot the deer or yotes did he use a bypod, log or how?Just curious his successful methods. IP

I'm not sure. He usually kills his coyotes while he is at work. He works on the windmills in WY and this means he drives his truck down the dirt roads, spots a coyote that thinks they're safe and he puts his front rest and protektor rear bag on the tailgate and shoots. This is legal in WY.

The deer was shot from a bi-pod way back in a wilderness area. He would like to pack his pedestal rest but since he was hunting 12 miles from his truck and doing it on foot, bi-pods were necessary.

He shot the long doe antelope from the trailer bench rest in the photo. He simply pulled the trailer up to a bluff overlooking a watering hole and waited for the herd to show up. While he was waiting, he shot a few sighters shots into the middle of the puddle where there was a small sagebrush to see his impacts. When the antelope finally showed up, he already had his scope dialed in and all he had to do was check to make sure the wind was the same and touch off the round. He said that when he shot, there was some other guys there watching the event. One of them heard the sound of the gun go off and saw the antelope still standing there in his spotting scope. He quickly turned and told my buddy that he had missed just as the bullet finally arrived there and dumped her. Then the tell tale "whop" was heard and the guy couldn't believe it. He kept commenting over and over about how long it took the bullet to get there. My buddy just laughed and went and got his meat.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.