1400 yard group

Matt27

Beautifull day today. Minimal breeez to non existant. Sunny and around 35 degrees.

I loaded some rounds up for my 338 Lapua last night and was ready to hit the trail today to see what kinda accuracy i could get. I was shooting prone off a bi-pod. This is the first time that i have shot this rifle prone and with the bipod. All other times have been of the bench with the bipod.

While loading i realized i was about out of powder so i only was able to load 4 rounds each at each charge. Not ideal but didn't want to waste a perfect day. I loaded up and headed out to the pasture. At 1400 yards there is a rock formation that i spray painted a black circle on for the first sighter shot so i could see impact and make adjustments for shooting my 3 shot group on my steel target.

The first loading wasn't so great. Couldn't get on the target so i evaluated that charge as bad.

The second loading i shot my spotter and corrected and went to the steel. I fired and didn't see any dust fly but knew i hit the target as it was swinging. I then went on to chamber and fire the next two rounds. They both went higher and to the left a little. In the white part of the steel and i could see the impact spots through my scope. So i grabbed my gun and headed over to the target in my truck. Upon looking at the targer the first shot was in my black circle. For the 3 shots i had 13"vertical and 9" of horizontal. I wasn't shooting through the chrony to get speeds.

I know it is only 3 shots but out of 8 differant charges these were the only ones that i was able to keep on the steel after making the corrections from my spotter shot. I had another charge that looked promising but didn't catch the slight breeze that came up. They didn't hit the target but just missed off to the side in the sand that the 3 shots looked like they all hit the same spot. Will have to load that charge up again and see.

group1.jpg

All in all i am very happy with the results i got for the first time shooting prone and off the bipod with this gun.I exceeded my goal of finding a 2moa load and wound up with 1moa (for 3 shots). Will do some more testing with the best load and the other one to really see.
Thanks

Any helpful hints or evaluations of the group would be much appreciated. With more trigger time shooting prone i am sure i will reduce the vertical once i get comfortable and do everything the same as far as the hold,cheekweld, and stock pressure.

Matt27

Congrats on your shooting. You can send photos to me and I'll get them on a site on the internet so you can link to them. My e-mail addy is in my profile.

Matt27

Okay... it's up there.

The round in the black is a little hard to see but it sure enough is there. Good shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.