Thumbhole stocks

I have a couple and I like them "OK". When I'm on the rifle they feel good. Takes a little longer to cycle the bolt or get to the safety as others have stated. I don't mind the looks. What really bothers me is carrying my rifle with a thumbhole stock. It's just so awkward. There is no good place to put your hand that feel comfortable.

I always thought they looked great and wanted one .... til I got one. It came with the rifle. It's nice to shoot of the bench and is extremely comfortable. But as others have stated, they largely suck to carry, the safety is usually awkward to reach, and they aren't particularly quick to cycle the action. It becomes an issue of how you hunt/shoot. If those things aren't important to you, rock on. Like I said, it's very comfortable to shoot.

I have two Richards Mircrofit Dual Grip thumbhole stocks and have enjoyed shooting and hunting with them. It can be shot using the thumbhole or gripped like a standard stock. A left handed person could shoot easily enough. I will agree that the reach for the safety is awkward. But I am considering other options for my next build.

I am a devout sporter stock guy in the past. I have never liked the look of the thumb hole, but since I had to bed the action, float the barrel, and refinish a thumb hole stock on a Remington a few months ago and then test fire it for consistency, the ergonomics are better I think and the hand to trigger length can be adjusted as well. I am impressed with them. here is the drawbacks, you have to take the stock off the action to clean the barrel, the cheek pieces on those stocks has to be fitted to you or they are just uncomfortable to shoot. the combs need to be lower than you think for scopes and iron sights, and the last is they are slower than most every other stock I know of.

If you have arthritis it's more comfortable to grip.
I am a devout sporter stock guy in the past. I have never liked the look of the thumb hole, but since I had to bed the action, float the barrel, and refinish a thumb hole stock on a Remington a few months ago and then test fire it for consistency, the ergonomics are better I think and the hand to trigger length can be adjusted as well. I am impressed with them. here is the drawbacks, you have to take the stock off the action to clean the barrel, the cheek pieces on those stocks has to be fitted to you or they are just uncomfortable to shoot. the combs need to be lower than you think for scopes and iron sights, and the last is they are slower than most every other stock I know of.
So be it, to each there own.

I have a Boyd thumb hole stock on a Savage Axis 223 with out the accutrigger. It went from a 2 inch Moa gun with blue box Black Hills 52 gr BTHP to 1 inch Moa. Right from the start. But I have found old guys like me ( 55 years and up with arthritis ) and young folks just starting to shoot ( 12 to 20 years old ) it really helps them on shooting form with a thumb home stock. **** But here is the most important thing that has helped me in the senior citizen group and what I have seen in the youngster group. ..... It slows us down just a little.... We hang on on to the gun a little better and slows us down 1 second throwing another shell in chamber.... maybe making it a little safer for me and the youngsters. Marty

Last edited:
I've been running the manners t5 elite for two years now and I have to say I'm in love. Whenever I go back to my classic hunting stock styles like Monte Carlo etc it reminds me how comfortable it is. Manners makes these ambidextrous but they do make one that is right or left handed specific with a thumb shelf that is very comfortable, but takes away the ambi-ability. Call manners and they will send you a whole package of em to feel out if you pay a refundable deposit and shipping. Money well spent. I almost went with the Christensen arms style thumbhole that is on the summit ti, which is a much smaller palm swell/grip, and I have to say whenever I get behind my buddy's summit I'm glad I went with manners. The button hook is great on bags as well. This thing is so much fun to shoot! Cycling the action is a bit slower but am I really ever in that big of a hurry? Nope.
C5B1199C-BA99-4061-894E-4559E36D1CA6.jpeg

OP,
There is a big difference between the different brands. I only own the manners eh5s and the Boyds. They feel very different from each other. I only shoot prone.

Just as an aside, I ordered a Boyd's thumbhole stock for my Ruger 1022 and they said no, they can't send thumbhole stocks to California. CA has decided that those stocks are just too dangerous. The Boyed Rep said, Jeepers, its just a piece of wood!!!!
The anti-Liberty laws in Kalifonia are not meant to "reduce crime," as the feasters upon sewage solids in Sacto would tell us. The laws are meant to eventually keep from the minds of future adults that firearms do not have an innate intelligence and cannot plan & perpetrate a violent crime.

If today's kids never come to know as an adult that a firearm is an inanimate object and is not a living creature bent upon the destruction of countless innocents, they will be much more amenable to surrendering additional Freedoms beyond just the Second Amendment because a campaign of misinformation has proven itself to be successful...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.