Throating reamer

Gene

Are throating reamers sold with various neck sizes? I wanted to shoot longer, heavier bullets in my 7 twist .223, and was surprised when I found I had to turn necks down after the throat was enlarged. He did not tell me this before the work was done.

tagging in for info .

I'm wanting to do this to a 260 I have , it has a very short throat .
I don't see how running a throating reamer can make the neck smaller .

You can have a throating reamer made any size you want. Whatever you do to the throat won't change the size of the neck. You have something else going on.

Are throating reamers sold with various neck sizes? I wanted to shoot longer, heavier bullets in my 7 twist .223, and was surprised when I found I had to turn necks down after the throat was enlarged. He did not tell me this before the work was done.

Throating reamers are normally SAAMI spec. if you now have to turn your brass, he probably used a "Tight Neck Throater". Throating is done to lengthen or shorten a chamber neck to accommodate
a certain bullet, and if the wrong size (Not the same as the reamer Neck size) you may have another problem.

I would suggest that you get some Cerro-safe and do a chamber cast to find out exactly what you have in case he short throated it and the cases need to be trimmed to length.

J E CUSTOM

Unless he set the barrel back and used a specific reamer with a longer throat, he didn't make the neck diameter smaller than before. Impossible to add steel back to neck making it smaller in diameter. You need more details about what was done to your rifle.
A simple throating reamer takes material from the riflings only, giving you more freebore, doing nothing to neck. Something is amiss here

Unless he set the barrel back and used a specific reamer with a longer throat, he didn't make the neck diameter smaller than before. Impossible to add steel back to neck making it smaller in diameter. You need more details about what was done to your rifle.
A simple throating reamer takes material from the riflings only, giving you more freebore, doing nothing to neck. Something is amiss here

I couldn't have said it any better.

Get some Cerosafe and do a chamber cast for fun! Ebay has it for a very good price. You'll be able measure the clearance on the neck and see any defects. However, you shouldn't have to turn the necks after the work you said was done. I agree Georgiashooter that something else is probably the issue. Clean the gun and case and try again. Check case lengths as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.