Throating reamer question???

AJ Peacock

Is there a way to 'ream' the throat on a rifle (for longer bullet seating) without using a lathe etc. ?

If so, what specifically would be required to extend the throat/leade/whatever for my 300WSM?

Thanks,
AJ

Throat Reaming without a lathe

AJ:

You can make a square ended bushing to fit the bolt race. OD .701 for a Remington/Savage with a .437 ID. This bushing will fit over the shaft og the Uni PT&G Uni Throater and be secured in place by either action screw or scope base screw. The PT&G "T" handle throating reamer is .437 and a Lambeth/ Kiff Micrometer Adjustable Reamer Stop can be set on the shaft of the PT&G "Uni Throater" T handle. By inserting the piloted Throating reamer in until it bottoms out. Then setting the Micrometer Adjustable reamer Stop one can adjust exactly how many thousands the want to cut. The throat can be cut perfectly aligned with the bolt race with the barrel on the action with no lathe involvement.
Call Dave Kiff at PT&G if you don't understand what i have just explained.

Rustystud

thanks guys

Thanks guys, it makes perfect sense.

Is there any play/wobble between the T-handle and the reamer?

AJ

Throating chamber

AJ:

My PT&G throating reamers are piloted i like fore them to float in the coupling and follow the pilot. No there shuld be no wobble in the T handle in the bushing.

Rustystud

Many years ago I purchased a T handle bushing setup very much like Rustystud described from JGS and it works great.I order many of my reamers without throat and set it myself depending on mag box and bullet choice.

Ken

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.