Throating reamer pointers?

Mram10us

I tried a throating reamer on a rifle a couple years ago and cut just over .060" too deep before I knew it. It was chucked up in the lathe using the tailstock, and I'm pretty sure I didn't realize I was touching the rifling until it was too late. What are some pointers on feel, pressure, etc? Thanks.

I recommend getting a T Handle for reamers and hand reaming with the throater. hand throating has better feel and you can use a stop on the throater to control the amount of throat removal.

Another tip = use a good fitting bushing so the alignment is perfect to the lands.

The best way in my opinion is to have a new reamer cut with the amount of throat you want to assure that you get the throat alignment and the correct depth. the cost is more, but worth it in quality.

J E CUSTOM

I want to try and extend a SAAMI throat for a specific bullet, in an ar-10 barrel, and was wondering how well this works

I do both methods all the time depending on the need and find the hand throating method to be very precise. (Within 1 or 2 thousandths), and the reamer method to be exactly what the reamer was spec. at, if it is a quality reamer. I prefer Manson and JGS reamers.

J E CUSTOM

Agree with JE Custom on hand cutting. Your really not cutting much metal. Along with fitted bushing on reamer I made bolt raceway bushing for the T handle for little extra alingment.

I did one about a year ago , it shoots well . I did a write up , on another forum , if you're interested I'll post a link . if I were to do it again , I would buy the hornady seating depth tool that would have really sped up my process . if I remember right , I have a couple of the after cutting COAL's wrong , but that doesn't mean much , you'll get the idea . I think I put down a few of the during the cutting measurements as final measurements . my best advice is ; go slow , be careful , these things cut FAST . keep an eye on the two small brass " depth limit "stop nuts . if these were to come loose , they would allow you to cut deeper than intended .

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.