Custom throating...

nksmfamjp

So, I hear I should send my gunsmith a dummy round (bullet in case) to use in selecting a reamer or for custom throating.

What do you choose? For example, with something like 6.5x280ai, I want to shoot 156 Bergers, but if I send that seated long, then 140's will be way out in the neck to touch lands. That makes me think I want to select a vld 140gr and accept the 156 pushed back in the case some. Thoughts?

I guess, I'm asking how far you pigeon hole yourself into one bullet weight?

I wouldn't go too far if you plan on shooting significantly lighter bullets- or those with different ogive geometry.
Keep in mind that you're going to be chasing the lands indefinitely until you turn the barrel into a tomato stake, especially with an overbore chambering. If you throat long, you'll be jumping shorter bullets a mile before long.

JMO, YMMV

A bigger difference would be comparing ELDs to VLDs. The ELDs require a much longer throat due to a shorter boat tail and longer base to ogive dimension. I'd recommend to keep your options open and do something in the middle. If you wanted to shoot ELDs, I would suggest going with the 156s for the dummy round. Just make sure you have a safe minimum hold on the 140s in the neck. Measure twice, cut once.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.