Throat length 3006 ?

WhiteOak

How can know if the throat of my 3006 has a long or short lead ?

Thanks !

WhiteOak

[QUOT I E=FearNoWind; 106 i9552]Is it a custom or factory rifle? If custom, can you get a copy of the chamber reamer specs.? Have you given any thought to doing a mold of the chamber?[/QUOTE] Thanks FNW , no its just a factory Weatherby S2 3006.
I didn't know if there was a way to find out by using an oal gauge when measuring the jump/ lands to bolt.

I thought maybe if a measurement from lands to bolt was so and so it could be determined or case mouth to lands .

With a 150 gr in a oal. gauge , I think I still have about an 8th or 3/16 left inside the modified case when the ogive is touching.

Ive read Weatherby was known for long throats .
I don't know if that's just for their actions or everything they make.
I understand Howa makes the action I have , but I don't know if it's to Weatherby specs.

Thanks

FearNoWind

... its just a factory Weatherby S2 3006.
I didn't know if there was a way to find out by using an oal gauge when measuring the jump/ lands to bolt.

I thought maybe if a measurement from lands to bolt was so and so it could be determined or case mouth to lands .

With a 150 gr in a oal. gauge , I think I still have about an 8th or 3/16 left inside the modified case when the ogive is touching.
Trying to determine free bore using that method will provide you with information but it will be, at bes, a SWAG. If you determine CBOL at X and then subtract the case length you'll come up with a number but it isn't a number I'd suggest relying on. There are just too many variables ......

WhiteOak

Trying to determine free bore using that method will provide you with information but it will be, at bes, a SWAG. If you determine CBOL at X and then subtract the case length you'll come up with a number but it isn't a number I'd suggest relying on. There are just too many variables ......
OK , thank you for the reply !

WhiteOak

If it is a SAAMI chamber, it has no lead.
Thanks Edd, so being at saami spec , does this mean a minimum demension or tight chamber ?
I'm new to reloading , I don't know if by knowing these things will help or not ?

Trending threads