25-06 throat length

Koda_

I'm having a 25-06 rebarreld with a fast twist to shoot the heavies. If I have it throated longer to shoot the heavies what are the limits of shooting bullets on the opposite lighter end of the 25-06 spectrum?

Is there too much jump?

I have a 25 Sherman LA that is throated for the 133/135 Bergers.
It works just fine with a 115 ballistic tip, as far as the bullet depth in the neck of the case.
I have not tried anything smaller than 115 though.

10-15 thou off lands

Attachments

• IMG_5439.png
    IMG_5439.png
    990.5 KB · Views: 39
I'm having a 25-06 rebarreld with a fast twist to shoot the heavies. If I have it throated longer to shoot the heavies what are the limits of shooting bullets on the opposite lighter end of the 25-06 spectrum?

Is there too much jump?
There is no minimum…all this talk about xxx from the rifling is BS. Every rifle will have multiple points where a sweet spot is, not just one close to the rifling.
So, you need to compromise because throats get LONGER, SHORTER throats are often a better compromise, but you need to choose a bullet and stick with it FIRST. If you're going to shoot a multitude of weights, then a larger compromise is needed…your choice.

Cheers.

There is no minimum…all this talk about xxx from the rifling is BS. Every rifle will have multiple points where a sweet spot is, not just one close to the rifling.
So, you need to compromise because throats get LONGER, SHORTER throats are often a better compromise, but you need to choose a bullet and stick with it FIRST. If you're going to shoot a multitude of weights, then a larger compromise is needed…your choice.

Cheers.
To clarify, Ive already decided... im throating it for the longer heavies regardless if I compromise lighter bullets. Im only curious if there is a practical limit on excessive jump with the lighter bullets?

To clarify, Ive already decided... im throating it for the longer heavies regardless if I compromise lighter bullets. Im only curious if there is a practical limit on excessive jump with the lighter bullets?
Some bullets are less sensitive to jump than others, example , HAMMER BULLETS shoot as accurate as some bullets jammed , with a .050 or better jump. With the right bullet choices you will be good heavy and light.

Some bullets are less sensitive to jump than others, example , HAMMER BULLETS shoot as accurate as some bullets jammed , with a .050 or better jump. With the right bullet choices you will be good heavy and light.
Thank you for this. It sounds like I wont be limiting myself entirely from the lighter options just that the rifle would now favor the heavier options.

Hammers have been shooting really well in my other calibers, if their lighter options in .257 will still work with a longer throat then I have options should I ever want to.