7wsm throat length?

emmagator

I plan on shooting 168 180 bergers and some of the wildacat bullets if they ever get going. Im ordering a 26" #6 1-9 or 1-8.5 twist Pac-Nor barrel. What should i have them set the throat at?

If they ever get going? They've been going for quite a while.

Sierra is going to start making a 180g SMK that needs an 8" twist, you might want to go 8" so you can shoot everything.

Are you trying to fit them in a magazine? That's the big factor on deciding where your throat needs to be.

If they ever get going? They've been going for quite a while.

Sierra is going to start making a 180g SMK that needs an 8" twist, you might want to go 8" so you can shoot everything.

Are you trying to fit them in a magazine? That's the big factor on deciding where your throat needs to be.

Your buying bullets from Wildcat? Ill be using a Alpha Industries WSM magazine.

Wildcat has been going for about a year and a half. They've had a backlog and had to get their dies sent to be polished, but I think they've been catching back up lately.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/wildcat-bullets-7mm-200gr-now-shipping-45231/

I believe you can send dummy rounds to Pac Nor and they will cut your throat to match.

Thats the thing i havnt worked up a round yet. What issues are there to getting the throat matched after barrel has been installed?

The Alpha mags have 2.985" inside dimension available. I like to have about .010" clearance inside the mag. I also don't like to jam the bullets more than .010-.015"

So you could just send them a dummy round set at 2.960". That would let you be comfortable in the magazine, jam the bullets, and/or chase the throat a little.

The Berger VLD's both have the same shape in front of the ogive. So it doesn't matter which you send for a dummy round. The 180g will just have more bullet in the case when seated at the lands.

I don't know if Wildcat uses the same shape so I don't know if you will be able to reach the lands and still use the mag.

It's much easier to do any barrel work with the barrel off.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.