Throat length and effect

robbor

I am just thinking out loud. On a cartridge such as 300 RUM that is usually longer than most magazines(even a rum magazine) can accomidate. Would it be better to get a barrel chambered with a short throat and seat the bullet deeper while making it slightly more efficient. You'd probably lose a little if you were shooting heavy bullets but for anything near normal, you could actually use the magazing and still normal bullet jump to the lands.

The other option to go with the long throat is to get a "bench rest follower" which converts the gun to a single shot. It can be installed temporarily or permanently. you will need to check to make sure they are availble for the gun you have in mind.

I have a couple that I use off and on for different reasons.

Interesting thought.I dont have a RUM,but just looking at the Nosler reload manual most loads are listed as 80-90+ percent case capacity which would probably bring most loads to 100% and/or compressed.Ive always heard that its best to keep the base of the bullet at or above the bottom of the neck,but in some cases,such as the short mags it hasnt proven a detriment.Expensive experiment though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The bullet at the base thing is if your looking for max case capacity. Nothing to do with accuracy. For consitancy I have my best luck with a full case as possible to slightly compressed. To much compression it will push the bullets out. Remington throats them long for the same reason Weatherby does. It helps with the pressure. Nothing will spike pressure faster than a bullet touching the rifling on a load that is set up for a good jump. If my Weatherby will shoot 3 shots into the 2's with a .450" jump what more could I expect with less?

Robbor,

One thing to think about is if you short throat a RUM to work with a factory box mag and then try to shoot factory ammo through it you will usually blow the primers right out of it from over preasure. If you want to be closer to the lands go with the Wyatt's box mag. With the Wyatt's you can seat out to the lands and still shoot factory through it.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.