284 win, throat length?

Kroberts

I finally have a barrel on the way for my 284 win build. It's a pac-nor 32" 8 contour with a 5 groove 1-8" twist.The main bullets I want to shoot are the 190 matrix and 195 Berger when it finally gets here. And for a little bit cheaper plinking ammo I will use factory 2nd 180 smk for out to 800 yards and get out the bigger for when I want to play out to 1 mile. I'm hoping to have the 190s be my primary bullet weight so I want the throat more for them but still work with the 180s. I've been having trouble finding anything on a throat length for these extra large pills in a 284. I know the cartridge is a little on the small side for these heavies but the high bc has me interested. What length would you all suggest for a throat length for these? Once I get back from a trip I plan to order some 190 matrix and load up some dummy rounds to get an exact measurement. But that'll probably take a little bit.

Thanks
Kyle

Will his help?

Attachments

• Reamer Specs crop.png
    Reamer Specs crop.png
    71.4 KB · Views: 164
If I'm reading it right then the number I'm after is 0.235. Any idea what bullet weight that is for? Or am I just not looking close enough? That does help though, thanks.

Kyle

Kroberts,

The dimension of a throat in the chamber is usually described by an angle, not length. The length is determined by that angle since it cannot be larger in diameter than the leade or freebore.

Length for seating is usually described by the leade or freebore which is a cylinder. The number you acknowledge as 0.235" in this example shown is correct for the leade length, not throat but that is the number you're looking for as long as you know the proper angle of the throat.

Regards.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.