"Three lug" action ?

Rich Coyle

Is there a "three lug" action that is typically as accurate as a two lug action? I put the "" around the three lug so that Weatherbys could be included in the question. Also, have you guys seen any lighter weight actions that are accurate?

jfseaman,

Well, you have to be correct! Their small six lug action is my favorite.:) I have one in .270 Winchester and the other is at the 'smith getting a new barrel. I bought the .270 so I could still hunt while the other is in the hospital.

Is there a "three lug" action that is typically as accurate as a two lug action? I put the "" around the three lug so that Weatherbys could be included in the question. Also, have you guys seen any lighter weight actions that are accurate?
Lug count does not affect accuracy, but it will affect bolt-throw. For example, 2-lug bolts tend to have a 90º throw, like Remington and Savage. 3-lug bolts tend to have a shorter 60º throw, like Browning A-Bolts. The A-Bolt II's are very light, and can be built into VERY accurate rifles. I have had 2, and the last one burned-out the barrel, so I built a lightweight custom deer rifle off of the action. Now it's my go-to for deer hunting because it's super lightweight and very accurate.

Personally, I love the A-Bolt II action almost as much as I do the Rem 700, but the aftermarket for the Browning is virtually nonexistent compared to the 700, and the Browning detachable mags have a very short OAL allowance compared to the 700, which is why I have more 700's than anything else.

Last edited:
Thats one of things that was a nice side benefit of my TRG. The bolt rotation is nice and short and being a SAKO its silky smooth and fast with no issues in accuracy. I think they have one of the nicest 3 lug actions. On speed shooting at say 100 yrd target it leaves a remington in the dust. Stupid accurate with it holding in the 0.2 moa. Also stupid $$$

Actually thinking of pulling my 30 cal barrel off and putting a 6.5 ( 6.5ss) or 6mm ( necked down shortened modified 284 case) barrel on it. The TRG mags are right at 3.00" allowable COAL so plenty of room.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.