Remington 700 Action, barrel lug?

WI_HUNTER

Hey guys, its been a while since i've been on here but i have one question. We have quite a few rifles that my grandfather and father put together way back when, my gramps was a machinist and engineer for us steel. I have a remington model 700 sps .243 that was purchased about 5-6 years ago and my dad took it to his buddy to have the boyds stock bedded and the bolt jeweled and its the last father my dad had put together for me before he passed away 4 years ago. I shot a doe this past hunting season and when i was shooting last weekend i gave it a good look over and noticed on the barrel lug? between the action and the barrel has two fine cracks. How long would it take to have a gunsmith repair that? and if any gunsmiths are on here what would it rough estimate cost? I havent had anytime to call our old gunsmith, he lives 2 hours away and im a poor highschool student haha. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

It would take 5-10 minutes max but you need to know if it's a stock recoil lug or aftermarket and if it's blued (chromoly) or stainless If you care about having the same steel as what you had). The thickness is important to maintain the correct head space. I have never seen one crack and I have taken probably a hundred of them apart so if it's something else that caused the cracking then it the time to fix it goes up.

Everything is stock the only things on the rifle that have been changed is the trigger pull, bolt jeweling, and the stock. I've never seen anything like that at all myself. Im still shooting my dad's handloads which are very mild loads, and i've never shot any of his handloads with a malfunction.

It would take 5-10 minutes max but you need to know if it's a stock recoil lug or aftermarket and if it's blued (chromoly) or stainless If you care about having the same steel as what you had). The thickness is important to maintain the correct head space. I have never seen one crack and I have taken probably a hundred of them apart so if it's something else that caused the cracking then it the time to fix it goes up.
IdahoCTD is a quicker than I am. I'd figure about an hours time. Before I removed the scope, I'd check it with the bore sighter so it would go back alined where it was. Next, I'd remove the ejector and run the head space gages thru it, just for reference sake. It might take me a full 5 minutes just to pick out which barrel vise bushings I wanted to use and do 'my thing' to protect the finish on your barrel when I put it into the vise, wouldn't want to mar the finish. I'd try my in-line wrench first but it won't remove barrels that are real tight so I'd probably end up using my stouter wrench. After the barrel was off, I'd have to examine the lug, might have another the same thickness in the box (if its an original Rem.). I'd have to see, with depth mics and GO gage where we're at in the head space tolerance, so , if I had a thicker of thinner lug, it could be used (might even be able to get closer to the GO gage (minimum length). Most of all, I'd want to know why the old lug cracked before I reassembled the barrel and action. After I had the barrel and action torqued back together I'd want to check the head space again, re-install the ejector and scope and check the scope w/ the bore sighter. Like I said, I'm slower than IdahoCTD is.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts