Threading barrel without having brake in hand

joelpat

Hey guys,
I've bounced all over the place deciding what to build next, but I now have specs and I'm moving forward. Or I was.

I'm building off of a stainless model 70 action. I put in my order for an MCM A3-5 edge, and sent an order to PACNOR for a 24" sendero chambered in 30 Nosler. This is my first time ordering a custom barrel, so I was surprised when PacNor asked how long I want the tenon cut for the brake.

The problem is that I put in my brake order with JEC 3 months ago. So far they have not responded to multiple emails and calls. I have no idea when I will see this thing.

So, is there a standard tenon length? I want the brake timed to fit without a bunch of shims, just for aesthetic reasons. I don't want to wait 6 more months to have the brake in hand, but I don't want to compromise the quality of the work either.

How should I handle this?

I think I'd order another brake. I ordered a Alamo 4 star to test and it was 2-3 months to get a response. I canceled the order when they finally responded. No brake is worth waiting that long for.

I agree with buy a brake from a more responsive company. the standard thread length is something like 0.62 inches for rifles.

AAC has a really good PDF you can download on a bunch of different thread configurations.

The problem is that I put in my brake order with JEC 3 months ago. So far they have not responded to multiple emails and calls. I have no idea when I will see this thing.

You must have ordered from someone other than J E CUSTOM because I have no record of your request. There are several new web sites that have similar names and the one that is most often
confused with mine is JEC Custom.

When I build a brake , it is a one of a kind tuned to your rifle and delivery is normally less than 2 weeks. sorry about your troubles. I am retired and do brakes at my home and one at a time, so
delivery time is never a problem.

To answer your question, your brake should be sized based on barrel diameter and then installed by a competent gunsmith for best thread fit and alignment. Thread tenon length varies from brake to brake and are brake specific . Normally thread tenon lengths range from 3/8" to 5/8" long and improper tenon length can place the muzzle at the wrong distance in the brake for best performance.

You can tell your barrel maker to install the brake of your choice or wait and let your gunsmith install it later.

J E CUSTOM

You must have ordered from someone other than J E CUSTOM because I have no record of your request. There are several new web sites that have similar names and the one that is most often

When I build a brake , it is a one of a kind tuned to your rifle and delivery is normally less than 2 weeks. sorry about your troubles. I am retired and do brakes at my home and one at a time, so

To answer your question, your brake should be sized based on barrel diameter and then installed by a competent gunsmith for best thread fit and alignment. Thread tenon length varies from brake to brake and are brake specific . Normally thread tenon lengths range from 3/8" to 5/8" long and improper tenon length can place the muzzle at the wrong distance in the brake for best performance.

You can tell your barrel maker to install the brake of your choice or wait and let your gunsmith install it later.

J E CUSTOM[/quote]

Correct, it was JEC Custom of Arlington, Texas that I ordered from. Who had the name first? It seems to be a problem.

J E CUSTOM

Correct, it was JEC Custom of Arlington, Texas that I ordered from. Who had the name first? It seems to be a problem.[/QUOTE]

No problem.
I am just glad that I didn't drop the ball.

After a started my web site, it was a couple of years before I saw them on the web so I am assuming that I was first, but there name is so close that to mint it does confuse some.

I am not a business and don't advertise and only build a brake for members of this site occasionally if they want one. I do like to experiment with different problems and video the results when I can.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.