barrel brake in ????

dhtp

how much will barrel brake in really effect how a rifle shots?

I'am asking becuse i have a browning 1885 25-06 wyoming centennial 1 of a 1000 that i plan to keep and shot. I am planing to take it to wyoming for an antlope hunt in less than a mouth and running short on time to brake in the barrel and work up a good load for it. (job gets in way you know lol) so is barrel brake that inportant??
someone on the borad said that it was the job of the barrel maker to put the little twits in the barrel and was his job to get them out. i like that idea but just want some ides on the effects of brakeing in a barrel or not, on how it will shot? not planing to use for long range realy maybe 500 yard prairie dogs.
thanks for any input.

dhtp

if i were you...

do necessary load developement to get you thru your antelope hunt then when you get back break it in as much as you can.

if you only get to the range rarely then take six shots each time and shoot and clean between each one but use #6 to foul the barrel before you shoot groups. after a few range trips the barrel will probablybe well broken in.

the idea is to "temper" the bore to fouling until it decreases to the minimum.

as long as you dont burn 50 shots thru a new barrel without cleaning the fouling wont be too great.

JB

The biggest advantage to breaking in a new barrel is that it will clean up much easier after proper break-in. Typical factory barrels take quite a bit of breaking-in, but aftermarket, custom barrels will break-in after only a few shots.

You can break-in that barrel after your hunting trip if you want. The whole point of it is to totally clean the barrel after each shot so that the next bullet encounters nothing in the barrel but the tiny burrs you are trying to remove. If you don't clean it to bare metal, the copper from the previous bullet will act to protect the remaining burrs and keep them from being smoothed out with your next shot. You are actually lapping the barrel with each shot thru a clean bore.

You will know when the barrel is broken-in when it suddenly starts cleaning up very quickly. After that, it will be very easy to clean. I don't believe you will notice much change in accuracy, but I've never done a before and after test. Good luck.

Westbronco, said it all I think. The final lapping process is with the bullets themselves in a clean bore for each shot as explained by him.

It will foul up faster and accuracy may fall off faster without a diligent prior breakin, but you'll do no damage if it's cleaned out real well first and sight in and enjoy the hunt, break in well when you get back. Have fun.
smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts