Threading a barrel without taking barrel off?

gusd

I always assumed the barrel needed to be taken off in order to thread the muzzle ?
Is this correct, or is it like I just read on a different thread?
"Any gunsmith that can't thread a barrel without removing it shouldn't be a gunsmith."

If they work through the headstock, and its short enough and large enough in diameter for the barrel to be threaded, then the barrel doesnt need to be removed. It also depends on how they like to dial in the bore. With a long stem indicator you only need to dial in the end being threaded.

Depending on the rifle brand, type of action, length of the barrel, size of the Lathe, size of the chuck and many more parameters, the action can be removed or doesn't have to be removed to thread the muzzle.

It is a decision that the smith needs to make based on many things, it is not a rule cast in concrete that it cant be done any other way. Also sometimes it may be a matter of convenience or just the best way to do the job accurately. Again, the smith should decide this not the general public. There will always be more than one way to do many things, but there is only one 'best' way for a particular task based on the end results.

J E CUSTOM

In the video he had $60 in tools and a smith would have done it for $100?? Now he has to re blue the barrel! I don't think it was worth saving $40.
With my luck
Buying the tools $60
Filing for hours to get the barrel the right size to fit the die $$ ??
Threading it crooked. $$ ?
Paying a smith to cut off the end of the barrel, re crown it, re thread it $200 to $250.
Being MAD AND FEELING LIKE A DUMB !!! for a week. PRICELESS.

Last edited:
Now why would you pay a Smith to cut and recrown your barrel if you mess up your threading attempt? You can do it yourself.
Plus look how much the accuracy improved!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.