weatherby barrel threading

jay775

I have a Weatherby Vanguard in 300Win Mag that I would like to thread to eventually put on a suppressor. My barrel diameter at the muzzle is .612". I was told I need 5/8-24 threading . The only way that will work is by shortening barrel to about 22". Is it possible to thread barrel to 9/16-24 and put on a thread adapter without any negative results?

I would rather not shorten barrel. But if I did how much would that effect downrange results at a max of 800 yds?

I have a Weatherby Vanguard in 300Win Mag that I would like to thread to eventually put on a suppressor. My barrel diameter at the muzzle is .612". I was told I need 5/8-24 threading . The only way that will work is by shortening barrel to about 22". Is it possible to thread barrel to 9/16-24 and put on a thread adapter without any negative results?

I would rather not shorten barrel. But if I did how much would that effect downrange results at a max of 800 yds?
I really don't care for the idea. Too much 'cobbling'. Thread the 24" barrel for 9/16 (.562) and install a sleeve with a 5/8" O.D. (.625). Now cut the 5/8" thread and you'll see you gained nothing. Shortening a .300 WM barrel to 22" makes no sense. Too much lost to call the result "good".

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.