Thrash a nice wood stock hunting?

Hunt with a wood stocked rifle and take care of it within reason. I don't intentionally beat up my truck but it's gonna get a scratch and dent when you use it for "truck stuff". Same with the rifle it's cased, wiped down, oiled, I take the stainless and plastic when it's pouring rain and guess what my wood stock guns look great. I see the dent where slipped coming down the mountain one fall, the day it fell out of the tree stand, where an antler rubbed on it the whole drag back to the truck or shotguns the day the canoe flipped when I was chasing a cripple goose.

Hunt with a wood stocked rifle and take care of it within reason. I don't intentionally beat up my truck but it's gonna get a scratch and dent when you use it for "truck stuff". Same with the rifle it's cased, wiped down, oiled, I take the stainless and plastic when it's pouring rain and guess what my wood stock guns look great. I see the dent where slipped coming down the mountain one fall, the day it fell out of the tree stand, where an antler rubbed on it the whole drag back to the truck or shotguns the day the canoe flipped when I was chasing a cripple goose.

Often referred to as…."character"! 😉 memtb

I'm in the same area. All rifles I own except one are wood stocked. I've refinished a couple different ones and use Spar varnish, seal the wood and it shouldn't be a problem. Only have one rifle with somewhat nice wood, M70 SG, polished bluing and oiled wood stock. I still take it out in all weather regardless. It's just a rifle after all.
"It's just a rifle after all"

I liked that one, well said.

Each scratch is a memory!

Each scratch is a memory is the way I feel too......

Maybe have to be thankful for the scratches, and not look at them in a negative way. Be thankful I was out there enjoying the great wilderness.

Fricken run it, dry it, polish it with the steel wool, add wax, oil metal REPEAT and BE PROUD.

😃

One of themselves got to be your nicest one. Scratched or not.

Hah, not here's my nice one let me unpack wood and build it quick to show you/myself how it looks

You guys are talking me into using it!!!!!!

And save my synthetic stock PROJECT, which is has been a pain, for backup, or for a less stressful time to work on.

Last edited:
I think the factory high gloss finish would wear away if I used it enough.
If that happens must not be a good finish. I've sanded a couple rifle stocks down to bare wood and finished with spray on spar varnish and they have been fine for more than a decade. Roughed up the finish on a couple rem700 and sprayed them with same spar varnish and they came out pretty good. The Ruger 77i did was kind of unique, 2 tone wood that had been covered by their red stain..

My Coopers get out in the field a little…

83E39D2B-3E3B-421B-9FD0-18EFF27A877E.jpeg
460E7A91-6AC9-4CB9-9BEE-1F6E5740C6E8.jpeg
8D5C9686-413B-4D13-9BD0-0E040A4F0B29.jpeg

I'm definitely gonna get some furniture wax and try it; rub it into one of the deep scratches/chip/gouge on my other "high grade wood" that previously ****ed me off. I forgot what I band aided it with. Brown sharpie or something. It was a bright off color scratch that bothered me to look at it......

So for wood fans, dents on oiled stocks can easily be raised by putting a wet rifle patch on the dent and using a soldering iron to create heat and steam. The steam raises the dent. If the damage is an actual scratch where the wood is missing, those need to be filled or sanded.

Oiled stocks are much easier to do spot clean ups, without a full refinish. The Weatherby, Remington high gloss finishes can be spot fixed too but it takes a lot more practice, skill and talent to have those come out invisible.

Last edited:
I have a nice Walnut/ Maple stock on a rifle. It has a few scratches, but I know how they got there. Just wear them like a badge of honor.
Nope .....badge of honor? I want to beat myself with a stick when I scratch one! That's why everything I hunt with now is composite, fiber or Chassis...( Can't stand the self inflicted pain)😊

I'm definitely gonna get some furniture wax and try it; rub it into one of the deep scratches/chip/gouge on my other "high grade wood" that previously ****ed me off. I forgot what I band aided it with. Brown sharpie or something. It was a bright off color scratch that bothered me to look at it......
Rub it with a Walnut ( the meat that is)! Rub it right in as the nut mushes it helps fill in the scratch and the oils coming out can do a nice job....of course it also depends on how deep the scratches are ..

Recent Posts