Wood stock tips

GetReel

Looking for some tips for a wood stock.
AA Walnut stock.
Is there anything a guy can do to a wood stock to make it behave more like a fiberglass stock as far as rigidity goes?
After reading that environmental conditions can cause a wood stock to maybe warp slightly or flex some. I did know if there was anything that can be done? Or is that on an extreme level?
Hunting rifle, out to 1000 yrds is the goal.

At a minimum, make sure it is fully sealed - no raw wood anywhere. Beyond that, obviously bedding it well with your choice of compound. I have seen a few drill 1/8" diameter or slightly larger holes throughout the inletting all the way down the forend and fill with bedding compound. Scrap off flush with wood and finish/seal overall.
I expect you'll get some better tips than these from folks used to wood stocks and severe weather though.

The best platform for any wood stock is aluminium pillars AND a full bedding job.
For extra stability, I also bed under the barrel for about an inch. This stiffens that area and I also use a cross bolt on anything 30-06 size like a 338-06/Whelen etc, on magnums I use 2 cross bolts.
Anything that adds stability, such as wood sealing with polyurethane will help in the barrel channel also and help the wood stay stable.

Cheers.

A difficult if not impossible task. Walnut, even well sealed can exert enough pressures on the action when exposed to moisture to prohibit consistent 1000 yard accuracy.

Recent Posts