Thrash a nice wood stock hunting?

Briwax

This stuff after some superfine steel wool works wonders in covering up dings and scraps. It comes in various tints, and I have some dark stuff that works really well on dark wood like walnut. And it protects. Stinks like naptha, I'll warn you, but that subsides after a day or so. So don't treat a stock the evening before you are set to hunt!

Just to the left of reflective ceiling light, oval knick which made the cuss words fly

Remedy?

IMG_20240229_142821.jpg

Is what I revision happening to the nice wood stock on my A-Bolt Medallion. Basically every minute I handle it....... Hahahahah

Just to the left of reflective ceiling light, oval knick which made the cuss words fly

Remedy?

View attachment 548882

Is what I revision happening to the nice wood stock on my A-Bolt Medallion. Basically every minute I handle it....... Hahahahah
I would use this method, even though it's a guitar, the wood stock will repair the same.

Yes , I have done so in the past and will again. Two Weatherby Mrak V rifles. One in. 270 Weatherby mag and one in 300 Weatherby Mag. Also, a Win Model 70 Super Grade in 270 , and a refinished Inter Arms Mark X Mannlicher stock in 30-06. They were all purchased as hunting rifles. I am a careful guy and not intentionally rough with my Rifles.

I live and hunt the wet coast of Washington, all of my wood stocks are stripped of the coating called a finish and bedded before being finished with oil. I'm not much of a safe queen guy-keep it well oiled and use it! After a wet hunt, I pull the stock off and dry it before putting away. Most factory wood stocks of areas in the inletting and barrel channel that are not sealed. Once everything is sealed up, a little oil will renew small scuffs, I guess dings just come with the territory for me. I can't imagine swapping stocks just for show.....mine would probably get dinged up in the safe while being kept "safe"
In the safe is where my wood stocks take a beating. Bolt nob dents. I had to take the dividers out because I ran of space. I put gun socks on the nice ones. Should of Long ago. I only have one wood stocked rifle I won't Hunt with. A Sako 300 wm I bought from a nieghber after I had sighted it in for him in 1975. I fired nine rounds through it. He only fired 3 rounds through it. He bought new. I told him at the time if he ever wanted to sell it let me know. 44 years later he saw me at my dad's house and called me over. He asked if I remembered the rifle i said I'd buy if he wanted to sell it. I did but I didn't even remember what it was . I thought a Weatherby Mk V ! He's 88 now and lives across the street from my dad who's 88. I haven't shot it since 1975. I has a Luepold vari III 6X20X40 1 in. Scope on it. The stock is beautiful tiger striped. I already have a 300 WM I use so it's the "King" of my safe now 😉

Since we shoot a lot of sporting clays, skeet and trap here, I'm planning to start using Renaissance Wax.

I have no idea how well it might work for the handful of rifles that I have with wood stocks but someone suggested Cooper sometimes ships it with their new rifles.

I read about it here :

Since we shoot a lot of sporting clays, skeet and trap here, I'm planning to start using Renaissance Wax.

I have no idea how well it might work for the handful of rifles that I have with wood stocks but someone suggested Cooper sometimes ships it with their new rifles.

I read about it here :

Renaissance wax works good on wood and metal. However, so does pure Carnuba Wax, like Mothers Original. The Carnuba also works great as a release agent when bedding stocks.

1709304850948.jpeg

I had Weatherby's when I was younger.My 7mm got beat on a horse and a leather scabbard.Broke one stock horse hunting.One ride in mountains equals about year hard use heh.Still have a couple stocks leaned up in corner after I went to lighter custom stock.Not worried about a scratch. I fell on my 340 and had to beat bolt open with a branch, broke safety and jammed it.Fell on a bow I had so hard it unstrung itself, compound.

Oops. Sorry, wrong wood.
I think extreme cold exposure is much more a concern for that kind of wood than anything else…major shrinkage! 🤣

It's the same phenomena that creates .22 short ammunition…when .22 long rifle is exposed to the elements during winter in Saskatchewan (or Wyoming in your case, i heat it gets plenty cold there as well) 🤣

Attachments

• IMG_7758.png
    IMG_7758.png
    233.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I had Weatherby's when I was younger.My 7mm got beat on a horse and a leather scabbard.Broke one stock horse hunting.One ride in mountains equals about year hard use heh.Still have a couple stocks leaned up in corner after I went to lighter custom stock.Not worried about a scratch. I fell on my 340 and had to beat bolt open with a branch, broke safety and jammed it.Fell on a bow I had so hard it unstrung itself, compound.
Good grief man! If that's how hard your hunts have been on equipment…what have they done TO YOU????!!!! Broken bones, dislocations, disembowelment, blood loss….? 🤪