Thrash a nice wood stock hunting?

Renaissance wax works good on wood and metal. However, so does pure Carnuba Wax, like Mothers Original. The Carnuba also works great as a release agent when bedding stocks.

View attachment 549212
This is what bedding looks like using buffed Carnauba as the release agent. This is just after popping the action out and prior to clean up.

Before and after.

1709396264616.jpeg

1709396176199.jpeg

Few bumps and bruises ,been pretty lucky really over all.Few years ago I fell in real steep area bear hunting, pulled shoulder that I kinda healed before bow season, but I re hurt this fall somehow.Broke my nose being stupid with my 338 nm after having shot it 12 years .Had a horse trip me on way out of pack leading it 7+. miles at night.Stepped in middle of my back, I tightened up when I went down, got up unhurt, but my elk 1/4 where spread out.Also got drug threw a wasp nest on another pack leading horse. That day the tie off on elk horn broke loose and horns hit horse where he didn't like it, I got the lead rope wrapped on tree real quick. I also hit the EJECT button a few. times when things didn't look good.Example I was riding a saw buck on a very large loaded horse, kept biting lead my friend was on.Well next bite that horse kicked back and bucked my buddy off.He small but real stout, his head coming down, horse head going up, knocked him out.He asked how he looked?If you new this guy you'd have to laugh like I did, as he had broke his nose in numerous bar fight before

Few bumps and bruises ,been pretty lucky really over all.Few years ago I fell in real steep area bear hunting, pulled shoulder that I kinda healed before bow season, but I re hurt this fall somehow.Broke my nose being stupid with my 338 nm after having shot it 12 years .Had a horse trip me on way out of pack leading it 7+. miles at night.Stepped in middle of my back, I tightened up when I went down, got up unhurt, but my elk 1/4 where spread out.Also got drug threw a wasp nest on another pack leading horse. That day the tie off on elk horn broke loose and horns hit horse where he didn't like it, I got the lead rope wrapped on tree real quick. I also hit the EJECT button a few. times when things didn't look good.Example I was riding a saw buck on a very large loaded horse, kept biting lead my friend was on.Well next bite that horse kicked back and bucked my buddy off.He small but real stout, his head coming down, horse head going up, knocked him out.He asked how he looked?If you new this guy you'd have to laugh like I did, as he had broke his nose in numerous bar fight before
Oh man I don't know if you're really lucky or really UNLUCKY haha, could frame that either way.

Funny thing is, all those brutal sounding rough and tumble injuries don't make me feel some kind of second-hand dread and panic the way "got drug through a wasp nest" does. I ain't allergic or anything, but absolutely I'd choose getting my nose broke or falling down and hurting myself over having a ****ed off swarm of wasps after me! I don't like wasps…had a bad experience as a child that stuck with me haha

This is what bedding looks like using buffed Carnauba as the release agent. This is just after popping the action out and prior to clean up.

Before and after.

View attachment 549648

View attachment 549647
Thanks for sharing

I'm definitely going to do the bedding when I get
1) the patience
2) materials
3) CLEAN work bench area

I will post in my bedding thread later providing it stays open, I'm not sure how long they will go or if they get "not open for further replies". I don't think this site does that which is REALLY COOL because I commented on an 11 year old thread seeing that one of the posters had been logged in the past week.

👍

Calvin, When I was a young boy, maybe 6 .Going way back here're had a wasp nest on back yard up in tree on edge of yard.I. lived about 100 yrds from a local lake and 200 from river.Reral small place.My dad told me don't bother those wasp and they won't bother you.They where yellow jackets.Well me being a kid with a sling shot, what do you thing I did?Last vision I had they where bombing my face,I ended up stung about 6-8 times in face, swelled eyes shut, ended at ER.Happy dad/not

Calvin, When I was a young boy, maybe 6 .Going way back here're had a wasp nest on back yard up in tree on edge of yard.I. lived about 100 yrds from a local lake and 200 from river.Reral small place.My dad told me don't bother those wasp and they won't bother you.They where yellow jackets.Well me being a kid with a sling shot, what do you thing I did?Last vision I had they where bombing my face,I ended up stung about 6-8 times in face, swelled eyes shut, ended at ER.Happy dad/not

When I was 13-14 or so I took out a nest that was under an old shed on the farmyard with an aerosol can and a lighter, flamethrower style. It was real awesome until I realized in my teenage male stupidity that I had set the building on fire, not just the wasps. I panicked and managed to put the fire out swiftly WITH NO ONE FINDING OUT and amazingly without getting stung once.

Sometimes I look back and think it is only by the grace of God we survive that 13-20 year old portion of our lives 🤣.

That little house by the river was where I also got lucky.Yes I took my dads hatchet and a buddy and I went to river, we probably 8-10,dont recall exactly.But we are chopping hole in ice and this gentle but probably 50 yrds across.We both went threw and some how got out!Well this was all fine and dandy til may 6-2'' father wonder where his hatchet is.

That little house by the river was where I also got lucky.Yes I took my dads hatchet and a buddy and I went to river, we probably 8-10,dont recall exactly.But we are chopping hole in ice and this gentle but probably 50 yrds across.We both went threw and some how got out!Well this was all fine and dandy til may 6-2'' father wonder where his hatchet is.

Oh man thats funny how that works…whatever about something bad having happened to me, I just hope dad doesn't find out! 🤣

When I was In grade 5 (I think) I cut my finger really bad with a utility knife/box cutter. Ended up getting five stitches across my knuckle, and could see the bright white of the bone and joint in the cut! And the funny thing was, I barely felt much pain, just PANIC! Not because I was hurt, but because mom had told me to stop playing with that knife!!!! 🤣. I couldn't care less about having cut myself, but I knew I was IN TROUBLE!!!

I had the same thing happen to me . We were on a houseboat trip on Rainy Lake somewhere in Canada . Darn near cut my finger off with the new knife I had just got , still have the knife , a case brand with a Mountie on it . Begged my brother not to tell . Lots of tape and gauze . We were days from a hospital . I was 5 years old !

This? In a pack, on a mountain top, hiking and climbing, slipping and falling? Nope, not for me.
This rifle is about double what my personal full customs cost. And it is all in that stock price. I am scared to even take it out of the case.
20240303_090232.jpg

Doesn't shoot too bad, either.
20240303_090831.jpg

Hunt with it every deer season till I get a deer…. AAA exhibition grade walnut , my dad did all the work. When I'm in the stand not seeing deer it's enjoyable to look and enjoy my rifle….. yes it has a few dents but just adds character…..
That's got to be one of the most gorgeous stocks I've ever seen!
Wow!

That's got to be one of the most gorgeous stocks I've ever seen!
Wow!
Thanks, photos really don't do it justice…. Got the blank from an old stock maker in Ohio. He had a blank for sale on the net that I called on and after talking to him, he sold me this one instead that he had been saving for over ten years. Gave me a great deal on it and I kept calling him for advice on finishing it. He walked me through the whole process. 40 coats of finish and my dad finally had enough!,, I don't abuse it by any means, but I hunt with it !