Wood stock restore?

Ok I want to re stain an old wood stock what works the best chemical wise to remove the old stain? I know there are paint removers but will that take the stain off too?
Chemical strippers will remove most of the stain, depending on the brand. Any stain or finish remaining in the grain will require some sanding for complete removal.

Y'all know to be really, really careful about getting bleach & ammonia near each, right? Do not want them mixing in a container or on a stock.
I thought this would be well known, but just in case it isn't.....
I had to look it up...

I believe the first step is to determine if it's a water or oil based stain that was used. You can do this by soaking a small paper towel with rubbing alcohol and then rubbing the towel on the stock. If the towel quickly stains then you know it's a ______ type of stain. That's the part I don't remember. Well once you figure it out it should help.

I've heard that Easy Off oven cleaner works in stripping the old finish. Anyone else heard this?

If all you're trying to remove is a stain, then I suggest sanding it off starting with 120 grit and work your way to 400 before the restain and oil.
Over the years, I've tried to stay away from chemical treatments as they sometimes can be incompatible with stains and oils. Just my .02.

What about were the checkering is though? That's why I was thinking a chemical.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts