Wood Stock for LRH?

BrowningBanger

Hey guys, I wanted to introduce myself by posing a question. I am not new to the hunting/shooting world, but I am fairly new to Long Range stuff. I have been hand loading for a few years, and have all of my rifles dialed in pretty solid. The question to this post is this; I have Browning A-bolt Medallion 7mm Rem Mag, and it shoots just under MOA completely factory with handloads. The rifle has a Walnut stock, and is glass bedded with a free floating barrel as are all A-bolts. Would the purchase of a new stock ex. B&C, Mcmillan or other, improve my accuracy enough to justify the price? The gun is a muley and Black Bear gun in my neck of the woods, and I like the lighter weight feel of it. If I have to add some weight in a new stock, I will probably go for it, but I thought I would ask first.

P.S. I do not have a disposable income. I make just enough to support my hobbies, and be comfortable. I don't want an answer saying, "just drop the 2K on blueprinting, and getting a new action, and blah blah blah. The real question is will the wood stock get the job done for a little while longer while I feel it out?

Thank you,

Connor

Hey guys, I wanted to introduce myself by posing a question. I am not new to the hunting/shooting world, but I am fairly new to Long Range stuff. I have been hand loading for a few years, and have all of my rifles dialed in pretty solid. The question to this post is this; I have Browning A-bolt Medallion 7mm Rem Mag, and it shoots just under MOA completely factory with handloads. The rifle has a Walnut stock, and is glass bedded with a free floating barrel as are all A-bolts. Would the purchase of a new stock ex. B&C, Mcmillan or other, improve my accuracy enough to justify the price? The gun is a muley and Black Bear gun in my neck of the woods, and I like the lighter weight feel of it. If I have to add some weight in a new stock, I will probably go for it, but I thought I would ask first.

P.S. I do not have a disposable income. I make just enough to support my hobbies, and be comfortable. I don't want an answer saying, "just drop the 2K on blueprinting, and getting a new action, and blah blah blah. The real question is will the wood stock get the job done for a little while longer while I feel it out?

Thank you,

Connor
If it already shoots "consistently" that well, I would have to say NO, its not worth it for the accuracy in this case. Not very many guys build up A bolts, I'm not saying its not worth it, as I have ZERO experience with a browning, just saying we don't see it as often.

I know guys don't build up A-bolts, and I have been slightly regretting the purchase due to lack of aftermarket availability, but the stock is about as far as I'll go with this one.

Thank you for the quick and knowledgeable reply. I will probably leave it alone, and seeing as my industry leads me to good deals on firearms, I will probably be purchasing a toy in the next year or so.

If you get a benchrest stock then you can shoot better off a benchrest. But this won't help with hunting ACCURACY.
Do you use a bipod in the field? Have you tried load development from a bipod?
If you're planning long range HUNTING, you cannot do this without a bipod.

A-Bolt actions are nice, Browning barrels are alright, but,,
Biggest issue with A-Bolt builds is lack of trigger options. The pull poundage is so high, even with all options expended, that free recoil shooting is out of the question. With this, you have to find a load with the stock pulled into the shoulder. Now vary that hold, any amount, and POI changes.
This may be why you're only at ~1moa now. You're gonna have to get good with the gun, which might ruin your shooting of other guns.
This plagued Savage for decades, and relatively few built on them -before AccuTrigger. A lot of shooters build on them now.

I took a plastic A-Bolt in 223, fit it in their Eclipse stock, bedded myself, changed barrel & cartridge to 6BR/Pacnor, made it single shot, put in a Timney spring kit(~2lbs), front bipod, rear monopod.
I shoot groundhogs with it pretty well(624yds longest).
All you need I'm thinkin is good rings, good LR scope, good load of course, and practice off a bipod.

Thanks for the reply Mike. I do shoot off of a bipod, and have had a fair amount of time behind the gun. The timney spring is now in, and my Viper HS LR scope arrives in a couple of days. Planning on a Bear hunt next week to hopefully break everything in before deer and elk get started. I would love to get a new gun, but that probably wont happen until after this season anyway, so I thought I would give it a shot. (No Pun Intended) I guess the other main thing is that my version of long range probably differs from a lot of others on this board. I am interested in everything to 650 yards. I have hit steel at 978 with a .338 Lapua, but I do not feel at all comfortable shooting an animal at those ranges. I guess that peace of mind comes with practice and a lot of money.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.