thoughts on the 7MM-08

RetiredCPO, Thanks.

DWM, suggested Savage Arms. They have a great reputation. I have a friend who has a 338 Lapua Mag and it's a sweet setup and very accurate. I checked out the web page and it looks promising. It just depends on what you want and what your willing to spend.

I'm assuming your a Retired Chief Petty Officer. So double thanks shipmate. In 1967 my unit was medevac'd to the U.S.S. Coral Sea due to heavy KIAs and WIAs. The Sailors on board were awesome in helping us manage our casualties and with Graves Registration under strained conditions.

I have some very close "Team Member" friends. Class Guys all the way.

P.S: DWM, good suggestion on the Savage.

Gonzo

Gonzo
I have no problem at all withe savage.
My 300 WSM is savage its a great gun
Its max range in 800 yards not because the round wont go farther but because that is the limit I have place based on the set up, Smaller barrel, mid range optics(power wise not quaility its a leupold) this was set up as a carry gun its sub Moa all day
The only thing I really want is a heavy barrel and a MOA scope base so I can shoot to about 1000 yards Need the extra weight to help with recoil cuase we shoot rock chucks all day.
I really loved my time in the service but Im also having a great time retired
I started in boot camp and ended threre as well I pushed recruits for 4 years what a hoot that was
retiredcpo

Well this sure has been informative,interesting and fun.
GonZo
thanks for your service. I am not as old but I too am a Disabled vet 22yrs with three trips the sand lot.
I am liking the 6.5 idea but having hard time finding a factory gun in it. Ruger has one but I dont like the fact you cant get a MOA base for the rugers
The 25-06 I am having to replace is really my daughters I shoot while she is away at collage I really like that round but want something alittle differant
Might have to consider a custom build
retiredcpo

Wasn't sure from your screen name if you wre a retired police officer or military. Thank you for your service. Love the reference to the 'sand lot'. My other favorite is that you guys have spent some time on the 'two way range.'

One of my cousins occassionally accuses me of getting on a soapbox from time to time. Here's one of soapboxes....go custom! That way, you pretty much get exactly what you want. My 260 might not be exactly the rifle you're interested in, but as you look at it remember that anything you don't like, you can do differently as a custom...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-260-mcr-59628/

Alternatively, if you go with a factory gun, you can do some 'accurizing'. Here's a good example of that...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/nephews-transformed-rifle-53634/

Yep retired chief petty officer
Hull tech
The plan is to either go factory and shoot it out then custom it out
or go custom from the start
My sendero will need a new barrel in a year or so. My buddies needs on now.
retiredcpo

A great round for its intended purpose. I have 2 (well one is my grandsons). They can be picky with ammo. His shoots 154 gr Hornadys excellent but mine won't. But mine can shoot the 139 grainers really well. I don't want to admit it but his Savage 16 will out shoot my
Browning Micro Hunter all day long.

All you really need for varmints is a .243. The 260 would be better if you want to hunt the occasional deer,but I've shot a bunch of deer with a 85 Sierria GK.

That being said a 7-08 would have better barrel life and .308 would give even better barrel life.

They are all great cartridges, all with the .308 parent case. No matter what you choose you will have a win win.