Thoughts on a 7mm SA Ultra Mag?

clhman

Does anyone have experience, good or bad with a 7RSAUM? Remington looks to be dropping the caliber, and I thought I might buy one. I have a 300RUM in a Sendero that I love and a .22-250 SPS, but I want to bridge the gap between them. I am a reloader and I am obsessed with accuracy and ballistics. The reason I think I want it, is because I want a gun that is a short-action, medium caliber that I could use on Moose if I needed to up here in Alaska. I am looking at a Model seven synthetic. By the way, I don't want a 7mm-08 because I think it's too anemic.:)

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

clhman

The 7 SAUM is slightly less powerful than the 7 WSM and both
are about the same as the 7mm Remingtion Mag with lighter
bullets (140grs) but with the 160 and up the 7 REM Mag has more
velocity potential.

The model 7 or the mod 674 would be good choices for the 7 SAUM.

I have the 7 WSM and it pushes the 160gr accubond 2975 ft/sec avg.

The SAUM shows to be arround 2950 ft/sec (not much difference).

The 7 rem mag pushes the 160gr around 3050 ft/sec so that gives
you a reference point as to the power level of the SAUM .

The fact that Remingtion is cutting back on the rifles chambered in
the SAUM is the reason I went with the WSM nothing else.

J E CUSTOM

I have a Sendero in 7mmsaum and have used it on Reds and Sika out to 1200yrds so far.

I have not had a windless morning where I could test it out to 1500yrds yet.

My longest shot on game so far has been a hare at 1103yrds and a rabbit at 1151yrds, -and yes they were both DRT.

I use 64.5g of Vihtavouri N165 with either a 160g Accubond or 162g A-Max which gives me 3040fps. Groups 4 shots into a 73 millimetre circle at 800yrds. The barell on my Sendero copper fouls really badly but is very accurate.

I previously owned a model 7 in 7mmsaum but sold it as I wanted a longrange machine.

The 7mmsaum is a very capable machine.

pic7.jpg

Thanks for the reply. What kind of accuracy do you get out of your WSM?

So far the best 5 shot groups @ 100 yrds have been 0.178 with the 140 AB and
o.191 with the 160 AB.

If I ever have a good day I think it will do better.

I need to test it at longer ranges (this rifle was built for 400 to 500 yrd deer hunting)
and is zeroed at 225 yrds.

If you can buy a SAUM complete thats what I would do.But if you decide to have a
custom built go with the WSM and a 26"+ barrel.

Also you can open a 7mm SAUM to a 7WSM (the chamber will clean up) if for some
reason the factory chamber was poor.

PS: Nice looking rifle Andrew !!!

J E CUSTOM

Thanks for the advice. It sounds like it would be a good choice accuracy-wise. Are there any other calibers that I should consider?

Thanks for the advice. It sounds like it would be a good choice accuracy-wise. Are there any other calibers that I should consider?

6.5x284 but in a long action. 28" bbl, 140 gr berger, 139 Scenar, or 140 Amax. Use VV N165, H4831SC, or Re22. Norma brass, Fed210M primers. You won't be sorry.

I think the .284" would be a minimum -being that you mention moose hunting w/ it.

The 7mm saum is a great cartridge -the wsm beat it out of the starting gate and is a tiny bit bigger =typical remington move.The new berger 140gr would make a nice deer round and the heavier 160gr accubonds would do you well on bigger game animals.
Buy some brass and enjoy the compact little saum...
The remington company has been sold so many times i've lost track -they do things that make no sense to me -like not offering a 338 rum [their own cartridge] in a sendero ,although i guess it's all based on sales ..
Good luck .

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.