Thoughts on 22 and 6mm PRC

I do t know if you would be gaining a whole lot with the 22 cal. I'm getting right at 3700 on my 22-243ai with fire formed brass and h4831sc and a 75g Amax and haven't found pressure yet. Have about 70 rounds down the barrel. I'm thinking the 6mm would be good. Run the stuff through a ballistic calculator and compare. My fire forming load with 75gamax is going 3550 at 3650-3700 there's not a whole lot difference in ballistics really. Like .3 moa wind at 700-800 yards in a 10pm wind. There is point of diminishing returns I believe. But I'm running a 26" barrel with a can. So I'm thinking a 6prc or saum based with a 90-105g bullet in a 20" barrel for my next build and would have roughly the same ballistics I currently get but with the shorter barrel for the can.

Last edited:
I have had a few 6mm-284s using custom aftermarket barrels. They generally don't last much past 1100 rounds and this is not using it for competition where shot strings are shot quickly. The thought of fire forming brass can limit a barrel's life. Yes, I know one can make a fireforming load to be accurate and use it till all brass is formed. The question I have is why not take a second barrel, and it wouldn't have to be a new one, and chamber it for fireforming only? The barrel could be installed on your hunting rifle. Once all brass is formed install the new barrel.

Dave Miller the custom rifle builder, here in Tucson, made a second 300 Weatherby rifle chambered exactly as his hunting rifle. He used an action and a shorter barrel, which he bolted to a huge steel plate that was clamped to the concrete bench at the range. He would fire 8-10 rounds through the forming rifle then let it cool some. He would readjust the plate to make it point straight down range again and once again fireform some more cases. His comment was "I won't shoot any hunting round that is not fireformed." His large collection of book coues and antelope speaks for itself.

Sometimes you get surprised.

My 22-243AI had over 1,000 rounds of 75 A-Max (moly) bullets through it before accuracy started to decline. It was never shot hot and was cleaned regularly. I could have continued to use it but decided to take 2" off the chamber end and recut to 22-243 (plain). It shot just as well as it did the day I built the rifle.

Take good care of a quality barrel and it may last longer than you think.

I have had a few 6mm-284s using custom aftermarket barrels. They generally don't last much past 1100 rounds and this is not using it for competition where shot strings are shot quickly. The thought of fire forming brass can limit a barrel's life. Yes, I know one can make a fireforming load to be accurate and use it till all brass is formed. The question I have is why not take a second barrel, and it wouldn't have to be a new one, and chamber it for fireforming only? The barrel could be installed on your hunting rifle. Once all brass is formed install the new barrel.

Dave Miller the custom rifle builder, here in Tucson, made a second 300 Weatherby rifle chambered exactly as his hunting rifle. He used an action and a shorter barrel, which he bolted to a huge steel plate that was clamped to the concrete bench at the range. He would fire 8-10 rounds through the forming rifle then let it cool some. He would readjust the plate to make it point straight down range again and once again fireform some more cases. His comment was "I won't shoot any hunting round that is not fireformed." His large collection of book coues and antelope speaks for itself.

I'd love to see either standardized to some extent, even if it was just a prolific builder would be nice. It takes so long to do the custom reamer then custom dies process. I don't mind paying a premium for someone to do the heavy lifting.

6mm isn't crazy territory on the overbore, 22 would probably be fun but a tough sell for the masses.

It would be interesting to see an update from the 220 redline.

1673784911576.png

There are other variations on the shoulder angle up to and including 45 degrees. Others claim that the Tejas had a 50 degree shoulder.

The reality is that the .22-284 is already in the books and necking down the PRC case is just another way to skin a cat. Yes you might make a case supporting the 22 PRC for use in a true short action but the .22-284 fits the SA as well.

Now, that does not satisfy those with the wildcat instinct for creating 'new' cartridges. But it might save a little money in development cost...;)

Enjoy the process!

:)