Thoughts on 22 and 6mm PRC

90gr accubond would blaze out of the 6PRC.

115's at 3400 I think I'd try to avoid the shoulder until past 300 yards.

The hammers, it wouldn't matter, shot my buffalo at 60 yards with a 181gr doing 3500fps out of my 300 through the shoulder. It died in 30 yards.

I'm sure if enough asked, Steve would make a 115gr Sledge hammer for 6mm.

.....I'm sure if enough asked, Steve would make a 115gr Sledge hammer for 6mm......

They have a 110. It's already pretty long, requiring a 1-6" twist. Probably up to the limit of what one can do with a mono. Although a Sledge Hammer shape might get you to 115.

They're pretty good about doing a one of for a customer. I think there's a minimum order, but don't think it's huge.

I've been watching this thread since it started and pondered something. The speeds and bullets discussed here are pretty much what my .240 Wby can do already. It is indeed a deer slayer and easy on the shoulder. The only drawbacks I can see to it are the slow factory twist (1:10) and you can't fireform the brass from anything else.

Compared to the .240 Wby, I would imagine a 6PRC would use more powder, and thus produce more recoil. I'm thinking it would look like the Eargessplitten Loudenboomer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_Eargesplitten_Loudenboomer

What benefits, if any would a 6 PRC have over a fast twist 240 WBY or 6/06? I'm thinking of rebarreling my 240 WBY to a 6/06 with an 8 twist 28" Bartlein and shooting the 108 ELDMs for a LR coyote/antelope rifle...My 240 WBY is seriously handicapped from the factory with a 24" 10 twist...Or I'm just going to keep it a 240 WBY with the same 28" 8 twist Bartlein for 108 ELDMs...

The only encouragement I would definitely offer is to skip the 6mm-06. That shoulder angle is really a hindrance to developing a proper load. It was fine when used during wartime in the .30-06 but necking it down to 6mm and leaving that mild sloping shoulder does nothing for creating higher velocities and efficient loads. Your better bet is to use an increased angle up to and including the Ackley 40 degree. This was my solution, it increases the case capacity somewhat but it broadens the selection of powders which work best (efficiently).

My absolute favorite though is the .240 Weatherby!:) I use this exclusively when hunting Coues deer.

You already have the dies, brass and loads, you just need a new barrel with the faster twist rate.

You can't eliminate the 6mm-284 either. All of these except the 6mm-06 Ackley are very close in case capacity and performance when used in the proper magazines. My 6 PRC reamer is set up for DBM length of 2.925" and is perfect for 105 grain Match bullets so hunting bullets work just fine also.

Well I dont know what the shoulder would have to do with a proper load for a 6/06...The 25/06 is one of my all time favorites and I've never had 1 issue developing a proper accurate/fast load for it with any bullet I ever tried from 75s to 120s...I would just take a 25/06 case and neck it down to 6mm, easy peasy...Not a huge fan of fire forming, or wasting any barrel life to gain maybe 100fps, so AI's are definitely out for me, plus dies are expensive. Im also not a fan of short actions, so they are also out. Short actions kinda feed like crap...I will probably just stick with the 240 WBY even though the brass is ridiculously priced, it is ready to go full throttle from the start, and I already have the dies. I have just always wanted a 6/06 for something a little but different. I shoot the 87g VMAX at 3500fps from the 240 WBY now as it's about all you can do with the 10" twist, and it's only my coyote rifle, so it works ok for it's intended purpose anyway. What would a 108g ELDM do from a 28" 240 WBY?? 3300-3400fps?

Last edited:
The shoulder angle improvement delays the powder column slightly, allowing for a better burn or powder consumption (efficiency). The standard shoulder angle allows for a large portion of the powder to ride the front of the plasma which is inefficient. There's no doubt you can work up a load with the standard shoulder, that's wasn't my point but of course you can. :)

Yes, fireforming can be somewhat wasteful and time consuming unless you do it while being productive with your shooting during fireforming. I found a set of NOS dies which were reasonably priced.

What would a 108g ELDM do from a 28" 240 WBY?? 3300-3400Ffps?

That's right in there kicking and screaming!:)

Thread resurrection alert!!!! I do hereby knowingly resurrect this old-ish thread, as some time is passed, both of these rounds sound super cool, and I don't know if anyone has done them yet and am curious (thankfully not a cat as well). Anyone do the .22 or 6mm prc? How about crazy overbore and interesting: 6mm-6.5 wby rpm?

Thread resurrection alert!!!! I do hereby knowingly resurrect this old-ish thread, as some time is passed, both of these rounds sound super cool, and I don't know if anyone has done them yet and am curious (thankfully not a cat as well). Anyone do the .22 or 6mm prc? How about crazy overbore and interesting: 6mm-6.5 wby rpm?
I've built two 6's.......