Thoughts on 22 and 6mm PRC

Adam Bentley is spinning 6prcs and I believe he's got 75 a maxes in the 3800 FPS range. Man does some crazy stuff with small bores.

......What are some of your thoughts on necking a 6.5PRC to 6mm or even .224 besides the obvious lack of barrel life? This would be for heavy for caliber bullet on both!........

Got here kind of the long way-looking for high capacity .22 Wildcats. To the original question 6mm likely is a little more "practical". Either is for someone looking at just having fun.

Curious if you've found anything else out since the original post? The heavier bullets in .22 make it interesting.

Not only the new heavies but Nosler released a 70gr accubond here recently.

I've read as much as I could into the .220 redline. Seems you may want to back the twist 1" down from what's normally recommended.

This project died once I got my 300 Raptor project going.

With that I'm unsure what direction I'd take with it. High performance hunting rifle or more of a tactical/PRS style rifle.

24-26" finishing at .670" like a I think 3b bartlien slinging the 70's at 3800 would be a antelope hunter's dream.

All -

Homer Powley's " Expansion Ratio " chart seen in the " Guns & Ammo 1974 Annual " listed ER's using 28" barrel length; as a reference point ( all listed calibres / case capacities ).

Consulting the chart:
A notional .224" cal wildcat that could hold 72gr of an appropriate powder, would have an expansion ratio of 4 in a 28" barrel. Homer did not even bother to list ER's lower than 4. I'd surmise, because of gross internal ballistics inefficiencies ( in this instance ) presented by a notional .224" caliber wildcat @ that case capacity level.

For the same barrel length, a 6mm wildcat could hold a tad more powder than 72gr; IF considering a 28" barrel length.... and willing to run right up to the Expansion Ratio
4 threshold.

Bullet wt selection might be biased to make max use out of such case capacities in the 2 calibres mentioned; none-the-less...... bullet wt differences won't change the rifle's built-in ER.

With regards,
357Mag

I like the idea of the 6 prc, my smith and his buddies are all old timers and have been hunting big game across America with a 6x284 since the 70s. They have killed lots of elk, mulies and whitetails with that caliber. I think it would be a flat shooting, easy on the shoulder type caliber. Great bullet selections that continue to get better and better as well. Barrel life may be an issue but for a hunting rifle it rarely is. Best wishes.

Would a 115 Berger hold up on deer under say 300 yards if it's moving in the ballpark of 34-3500 at the muzzle? A quick run of numbers would put it around 275-300 yards and just crossing 3000 fps... it's definitely a flat shooter and holds its energy well. But are there any bullets that heavy to take advantage of it on game? I know Bergers are designed to fragment but would it be too much?!

Either a mono or an accubond would be a good choice for those speeds, also Sierra makes a new 100 gr tipped game king with a .515 bc which would also be a great option out of a 6 prc.

Last edited:
Adam Bentley is spinning 6prcs and I believe he's got 75 a maxes in the 3800 FPS range.

There aren't any 75 grain AMAX bullets in 6mm, there are VMAXs weighing 75 grains. At 3800, these might get to be slightly over done given the RPMs... Depends on the twist rate of course.