This is CRAZY...

Serious question, is this price gouging by the retailer or are their prices going up? If it is price gouging someone with more time than me should start a list and we all boycott those businesses if possible.
There are those that are 'gouging' out there. And there are those businesses that are just trying to survive. I thought about attempting to explain why prices are rising, but decided not to. I'd just be wasting my time. These threads are just about how mad people are because prices are/have gone up and they can't get what they want when the want it (NOW!). Some gun/reloading shops are closing, or they are about to, because they can't keep their cash flow that's need to 'pay the bills', because they can't get what they usually have on their shelves, and what they can get is only available to them in limited quantities, and many times are a higher cost. The cost of 'doing business' remains the same, while the dollars coming into the business dwindle. It is happening all the way up the supply chain, from the raw materials to the consumer.

There are those that are 'gouging' out there. And there are those businesses that are just trying to survive. I thought about attempting to explain why prices are rising, but decided not to. I'd just be wasting my time. These threads are just about how mad people are because prices are/have gone up and they can't get what they want when the want it (NOW!). Some gun/reloading shops are closing, or they are about to, because they can't keep their cash flow that's need to 'pay the bills', because they can't get what they usually have on their shelves, and what they can get is only available to them in limited quantities, and many times are a higher cost. The cost of 'doing business' remains the same, while the dollars coming into the business dwindle. It is happening all the way up the supply chain, from the raw materials to the consumer.
This is being felt in most fields at this time. I can't get some parts from my regular supplier. I have to purchase elsewhere. Most parts prices have gone up 10-15% in the past year, and higher from suppliers that I don't normally use. I try to keep my prices as low as possible, but I can't honor a quote that was given six months ago. It is a tough balance to stay in business and be fair to my customers.

I would MUCH MUCH MUCH rather deal with price gouging the EVER EVER have the government step in and regulate prices. What we are witnessing happening is a live playing out of the ant and the grasshopper fable.
The ants are the ones that were smart enough to stock up when times were of plenty while the grasshoppers did not.
Now the grasshoppers are panicking and full of fear and regret for their short sightedness are paying what ever the market is asking for not being more like the ants.
I have always always found it completely and utterly baffling when people I know buy a firearm for self/home defense and #1-refuse to buy few if any extra mags and #2-buy only 100-200 rounds of ammo.
I have friends who hunt shoot and reload who STILL this day are making fun of me and feel the money I spent on components and ammo over not just the last 20 years but especially the last 4 years was utterly waisted.
I hope and pray TAMG they are actually right.
But all my friends each don't have enough ammo on hand for more than 2-3 seasons at best, including ones that reload.
Been telling ALL my friends for YEARS without ammo a long gun becomes a very expensive very ineffective club, a HG an essentially useless single use rock. Seriously speaking if I had to face one let alone more than one attacker and my choice was either a short handled shovel as a weapon or use one of my rifles as a club I'd choose the shovel all day every day.

I well learned my lesson long long ago when "Watch me wipp out my whilly Billy Clinton" was in the WH.
It's not just Ammo/reloading supplies, it's everything. Gas, oil, toilet paper , food that will be used for price gouging and really hurt everyone, not just someone complaining about a lack of primers. It needs be be addressed across the board

There is no such thing as gouging. Not if you believe in individual liberty and individual responsibility.

Very rarely is anyone forced to buy something. We are not entitled to what someone else has, at a price of our choosing. They set the prices. We decide to buy, or not. What kind of person makes the decision to purchase something, and then gets mad at the seller who provided the item at a price the buyer agreed to pay?

If there is a singular behavior that illustrates one of the core problems with people in this country... it's that right there.

Considering berger is now a Nammo owned company, and nammo is headquartered where the Euro is the currency, and the dollar has lost at least 12% of value on the Euro... it would make sense that they are looking to protect their profit margins and will raise prices just like every other domestic and international entity will do this year.
I disagree, I guess I am what's wrong with our country, I am rotten to the core!

price gouging

[ prahys-gou-jing ]SHOW IPA

noun

an act or instance of charging customers too high a price for goods or services, especially when demand is high and supplies are limited: The law prohibits price gouging during weather emergencies such as snowstorms.

Not only is there such a thing as price gouging, you can be prosecuted for doing it!

We should all go on the website and "wright a review" for the product that says, "stop ripping us off and price gouging".
How can they rip you off, if you don't buy anything?

If people spent even 1/100'th of the effort they spend being outraged, on standing upright, being responsible, and laying intelligent plans for the future they want and acting on those plans, no one would have the time or inclination to be upset about the predictable nature of capitalism.

The primer shortage doesn't disappoint me. Peoples reaction to it disappoints me. We have become a society where all our problems are of someone else's making.

Price gouging and price fixing is not capitalism. Free markets only work properly when there is sufficient competition to send all the proper signals as to what something is worth. When a vendor tries to exploit dislocations in a market caused by the supply chain disruptions or when multiple vendors coordinate their activities to artificially raise prices then what you have left is not free market capitalism but the wanton exploitation of consumers. This is illegal and should be prosecuted. Don't confuse capitalism with unbridled greed and avarice. What we are seeing in the marketplace now is the latter. The ammunition makers have a vested interest in keeping the present situation going for as long as possible because it benefits their bottom line. Moreover, they are being pushed by wall street traders-who own their stocks-to raise profit margins and increase quarterly dividends. If they fail to meet expectations they get punished with a run on their companies stock. FYI....most corporate CEO's receive the largest portion of their compensation in company stock. You hurt the price of that stock and it directly hurts the CEO's pocket book. This arrangement is by design to align the interest of the corporate decision makers with those of the investors most of whom are only interested in short term profits!

I disagree, I guess I am what's wrong with our country, I am rotten to the core!

price gouging

[ prahys-gou-jing ]SHOW IPA

noun

an act or instance of charging customers too high a price for goods or services, especially when demand is high and supplies are limited: The law prohibits price gouging during weather emergencies such as snowstorms.

Not only is there such a thing as price gouging, you can be prosecuted for doing it!

I sincerely doubt you are what's wrong with the country. Most gun owners, especially those that would congregate on a long range precision rifle forum are likely much more on the right side of things than many.

However, the letter of the written law is not mutually exclusive with freedom, morality, or personal responsibility. I know many good people that were sued for doing the right thing... and they lost. The criminal won. So I refuse to debate the merits of our tortured legal system. It's as far from "justice" as I can imagine.

Feeling entitled to what someone else has, is a very dangerous path that typically only leads to dark places. Places that are looked back on by history as mistakes, and atrocity. Price fixing is when a group of businesses get together to artificially raise prices. That is not what is happening. Gouging is a made up term used to attack the character of anyone charging a price that is higher than what someone wants to pay. It's purely relative, and can not be defined. I could go buy a new pickup for $50,000. I could have it appraised for $60,000 by 10 agencies. I could try to sell that pickup for $40,000, and SOMEONE would claim they are being "gouged." There are always people lining up to claim victim status.

Though in order to believe in the philosophy I'm describing, you need to also believe completely in individual responsibility. No one is responsible for providing me with anything. That is the truth of the matter.

Price gouging is illegal. If there is a hurricane and the store raises the price of batteries and water 1000%, it's price gouging and there are laws against it. We can't apply the same principles to reloading components or any other "desired" item. If my neighborhood suddenly becomes the neighborhood where all of the cool kids wanna live and every house in my neighborhood that is for sale is snatched up, I can certainly list my house any any ridiculous price I wish. If someone is willing to buy it, sweet on us both. NOT gouging.
If the price is too high, don't buy it. As long as folks are willing to pay the current price, the price will be what it is. If everyone quit eating beef, great steaks would be cheap.

I sincerely doubt you are what's wrong with the country. Most gun owners, especially those that would congregate on a long range precision rifle forum are likely much more on the right side of things than many.

However, the letter of the written law is not mutually exclusive with freedom, morality, or personal responsibility. I know many good people that were sued for doing the right thing... and they lost. The criminal won. So I refuse to debate the merits of our tortured legal system. It's as far from "justice" as I can imagine.

Feeling entitled to what someone else has, is a very dangerous path that typically only leads to dark places. Places that are looked back on by history as mistakes, and atrocity. Price fixing is when a group of businesses get together to artificially raise prices. That is not what is happening. Gouging is a made up term used to attack the character of anyone charging a price that is higher than what someone wants to pay. It's purely relative, and can not be defined. I could go buy a new pickup for $50,000. I could have it appraised for $60,000 by 10 agencies. I could try to sell that pickup for $40,000, and SOMEONE would claim they are being "gouged." There are always people lining up to claim victim status.

Though in order to believe in the philosophy I'm describing, you need to also believe completely in individual responsibility. No one is responsible for providing me with anything. That is the truth of the matter.
I have not purchased anything from CTD since the last ammo shortage, they were gougers then and they are gougers now. IMHO. Personal responsibility and brotherly love compel me to warn others of their greed.

Remember who is doing good by maintaining prices ( when they have product ) and who is gouging and never give the big price hikers your business again !!! When this blows over they will get theirs!! Midway has some smaller increases but I'm willing to bet it's their suppliers doing it and they need to pass that on for the same profit margin.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts